Broody problems

pefferlawchicken

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
ontario, canada
Hello everyone.

Last night my buff oprington hen (i think) went broody. she had already laid her egg for the day but yet she was back on the nest, she was puffed up and wouldnt let anyone near, she was sitting on 18 eggs, i have been letting them build up so maybe somone would sit on them. Today i went out this morning and she was still there and the eggs were warm , i put food and water near her and then i went out for the day. When i got home she was off the eggs and the eggs were cold, Then she came back inside and went and sat on them so i dont know whats going on ? this is my first broody chicken. I cleared out another room we have in our coop and put her in there with the eggs food and water , she went right over to the eggs and fluffed up and continued to sit on them. Is she broody? And will the eggs be okay if they were cold when i came home ?

My ducks have always been sneaky about brooding, I don't know how they act. My chicken hens, though, will usually sit on the nest overnight the first night, then be off the nest all the next day, and go back on the nest at night. Then they usually stay put. I wouldn't worry about the eggs unless she does this everyday. That might mess them up, the first day shouldn't bother them.

Sometimes it takes a day or so until they begin to sit tight, or so I've read. That's certainly how it went with my three bantams who are now setting. That's why I've heard that if you want to put special hatching eggs under a broody, you let her start sitting on golf balls to begin with and switch them out with the real eggs when the hen has settled down completely to brood.

They arnt special but i want them to hach , my nabour said she wasnt outside long as he could tell so do you think the eggs just cooled when she went out for a bit? I dont want to get rid of these eggs but if i have to i will

As I said in my earlier post, the eggs should be fine. The young embryos will go dormant if they are very early, cooling like that won't hurt them at such an early stage. My chicken hens do that all the time and it doesn't seem to affect them.

Back
Top Bottom