Broody problems

dkern

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 21, 2012
I have 6 Delaware hens, one Deleware rooster, 2 buff Orps, 2 Easter Eggers and 3 RIR. I want a couple of them to raise some new chicks. This is my first year so them sitting is new as is all of it. I have one BO and one easter egger who are broody. The Easter Egger isn't quite as serious but is getting there.

Here is my problem. After about a week to ten days they seem to move from one nest box to another. I have 4 nest boxes in total. Then I have a bunch of eggs with half developed chicks in them. And more eggs so not sure which ones are new or not. Not good. I typically give a lot of eggs away but am hesitant with the chicks in them. When I get them I just give them to the dogs, but I don't want others to have this problem Any ideas? Thanks so much!

I have 6 Delaware hens, one Deleware rooster, 2 buff Orps, 2 Easter Eggers and 3 RIR. I want a couple of them to raise some new chicks. This is my first year so them sitting is new as is all of it. I have one BO and one easter egger who are broody. The Easter Egger isn't quite as serious but is getting there.

Here is my problem. After about a week to ten days they seem to move from one nest box to another. I have 4 nest boxes in total. Then I have a bunch of eggs with half developed chicks in them. And more eggs so not sure which ones are new or not. Not good. I typically give a lot of eggs away but am hesitant with the chicks in them. When I get them I just give them to the dogs, but I don't want others to have this problem Any ideas? Thanks so much!
Mark the eggs you want them to sit on. Also if they aren't sticking to one box its most likely because they get confused on which nest is theirs on their way back. Why not try putting some chicken wire over the front of their boxes then let them out daily to eat and drink then watch them go back?

Thanks for the ideas. I marked each egg so at least I will know that. Not sure about blocking them in since I am inconsistent on when I go down to check on them. Maybe later as my schedule gets more uniform. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom