Broody quail hatched five chicks outside!!!

Binki

Songster
Jul 9, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Ahhhh I didn't think they would come today since she spent a lot of time off the best due to other quail drama but there are five babies healthy and dry running around her!!!

She seems to make the same sound the male quail do when they tidbit for the girls (just like a rooster does for a chicken hen but different sound, like a tiny quick "woopwoopwoop"
1f61d.png

So what do I do about the other quail eggs?!! She's not sitting on them... By the way there was torrential downpour this morning and they still are all dry what a good mom ^^ they're in my planted aviary hehe I've hatched through an incubator and can put the remaining eggs in.... Any thoughts??

You could always give the incubator a try and see if anything comes from the other eggs :) I'd candle them before putting them in there though.
Congrats on the little ones!

Thank you! And good idea :D

Here's a video
1f603.png

While I was trying to upload the video of the adorable fam, she went back on the nest! So here's hoping she knows what she's doing... I'll give her a chance to pop some more :p

Some eggs were added to her nest after incubation started and some are definitely infertile although I'm not certain how long a female quail can keep sleep viable? Just when they mate or maybe she stores it, I remember trying to look that up before and either forgot or couldn't find anything specific because I still don't know
1f917.png

I'm going to add some more food crumbs and an even more shallow water dish hehe! She doesn't seem to mind me being around investigating either :)

Back
Top Bottom