Broody quail, now what?

I don’t have quail, so there is that.
But... I’d think that I’d leave them in the incubator, if it were me.
If -really- you want her to hatch some, you might try putting something similar in size to the eggs (but not the eggs) back in the nest and see if she goes back to sitting. But it’s a gamble for sure to give them back to her :/
Good luck, whatever you decide!
:hugs

She stopped sitting. She was broody this morning and some of the eggs were around day 6. She was doing really well and oy left the nest to eat. I think something must have spooked her, I doubt she would've changed that quickly otherwise.

She had 7 eggs, one of them looking around day 6 and the others day 3, one of them didn't develop but I know it's old. I put them all in the incubator.

I waited about 3 hours but she didn't go back on the eggs the whole time. If she decides to try again for whatever reason and seems to be doing well I'll give them back to her, but I'm keeping them in the meantime.
Sad

I don't know what the deal is with this quail, but she left the nest for 7 HOURS and has now decided to sit on it again. She collected two eggs laid by other females and laid an egg of her own. I'm not giving her back the other eggs, but I don't even know what is going on with this bird.
She was trying to get to her friends and not at all interested in eggs for almost 8 hours and now wants to sit on some. If she appears to be serious about this tomorrow I'll separate the others again. I just locked them in the top half of the cage before so it doesn't matter how much I separate them.

She stopped sitting. She was broody this morning and some of the eggs were around day 6. She was doing really well and oy left the nest to eat. I think something must have spooked her, I doubt she would've changed that quickly otherwise.

She had 7 eggs, one of them looking around day 6 and the others day 3, one of them didn't develop but I know it's old. I put them all in the incubator.

I waited about 3 hours but she didn't go back on the eggs the whole time. If she decides to try again for whatever reason and seems to be doing well I'll give them back to her, but I'm keeping them in the meantime.
It happens, and yes, it can happen that quickly. Coturnix quail are notoriously bad at hatching their own eggs.

It happens, and yes, it can happen that quickly. Coturnix quail are notoriously bad at hatching their own eggs.
At least they are better at making nests than pigeons.. 🤣
lazy-nest3.jpg

George seems to have gone back to the 'test sitting' stage. I'm keeping all the birds together now.

Back
Top Bottom