Broody question

SuburbanChickFarmer

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
I have a broody hen that I decided to let do her thing since I got rid of my rooster and the eggs were the last of the fertilized eggs. I separated her from the coop, went on vacation and left her in good hands, came home and noticed she had egg yolk on her head. I lifted her up and 3 of the eggs have been eaten by her. I think that I am done with this little hatching experiment and want to throw all the eggs away. I'm not sure if the eggs stink, or if it is bad yolk on her and the nest but it's gross. If I remove the eggs from the nest, do I need to do anything to her or will she continue to sit in the nest even though there are no eggs? I want to do what's best for her so she doesn't become stressed out. Anyone in this situation before that can give me insight I would appreciate it!

Removing the eggs will not break the broodiness. If there are any eggs that might be viable, I'd leave them with her. Just clean everything up (which you probably have by now.)

If you tossed the eggs, just keep taking her off the nest, or even block it off if you can. Another way to break a broody is to put her in a wire cage for a few days -- food and eater but no nesting material, and propped up so air flows on her underside.

The only way I can break my broody is let her hatch eggs or give her baby chicks.

I'd leave her be for a while. It could be she could tell that the eggs weren't developing. Our JBG hen kicks non-developing eggs out of the broody nest.

Other than that, it wouldn't hurt to make sure she is getting additional protein and calcium in her diet while broody.

Back
Top Bottom