broody question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barred Rocks forever, May 31, 2010.

1. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    hi my cochin went broody today i have maran eggs in the bator that have 5 days till they hatch can i just slip those eggs under the cochin thanks !

2. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I want to know this too, bump.

3. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    i think so

4. duckgirl_19

duckgirl_19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    kalamazoo
    hmm maybe some one else can answer this ill give you a bump

5. Splashycochin

Splashycochin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Your broody hen has been broody before, and hatched eggs that weren't hers. She has a history of being a good mama, right?

6. Barred Rocks forever

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    yes she has been one but when i give her the eggs they will be a little early in the brooding stage thats what im worrying about maybe i will get some hatching eggs from a breeder i have always wanted some crele OEG from donnie

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I've not tried this, but I *think* it would be all right. Just make sure the hen is truly broody & not going to change her mind. Maybe give her a couple of fake or disposable eggs and see if she sticks on them. Then swap them for the eggs in your incubator. How nice it will be to have a bird do the work of tending to these chicks! Your hen will be thinking "Wow, this broody business is easy, the time just flew by!"

Once I had a young hen who was brooding some eggs and for some reason mid-way through the set she flew off the nest & found a way out of the broody pen. It just happened that I had a super-broody hen who started showing signs of broodiness that afternoon. I put her on the abandoned nest and she took to it right away. Typically I wait until after nightfall to make any moves/changes with broodies, but this was an emergency situation. Fortunately Bebe was an exceptional broody who could handle it.

8. Barred Rocks forever

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    awsome i guess i will try that lol i guess theres no point in getting those OEG crele eggs well i guess she wil ltake all the bantams for me

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  9. Splashycochin

Splashycochin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    So is the thought that adding fertilized eggs anywhere within the 21 day okay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by