Broody questions...Help!!

dragonlili

Songster
12 Years
May 26, 2007
N Middle TN
Hi,

At day 22 patient weeks, my broody little Dutch hen has hatched out 5 of her six eggs. She looks exhausted. Well, silly me, I saw some eggs on Eggbid, hoping to continue. How long will a broody stay on her nest? Will I be pushing it to put those eggs (6) under her or should I put them in the bator? I have had 2 cochins and 2 silkies and she is the first hen that I've ever had go broody! Should I give her some boiled egg or something to get her strength back up?

Six weeks on the nest sounds really long... I know by my 6th months of pregnancy I was ready to be done!

And of course, the little itty bitty fluffy butts are adorable!
Thanks,
Cat

Personally I would not push it. Being broody takes a lot out of a hen. If she is looking exausted..let her just be a mom and enjoy her babies..and incubate the next batch of eggs.

Are you letting her raise the chicks? If so don't give her more eggs. If not, why not let her raise the chicks?

Let her eat what she wants. She will probably get off the nest soon and will eat whatever ration is in front of her.

1 hatched on Sunday morning, another had pipped that afternoon, and when I came home at 8:00 tonight, there were 5. She has been up for intervals, prior to the hatching, of course. I have the whole family in their tractor, so if dad can behave, I will probably keep them there. He has been very protective of Binky the whole time, moreso since the hatch. Chases all the other girls away from his tractor.

I've read about Dutch being good mothers, but not about the roosters. So I'm up in the air about keeping them all together.

sad.png

Back
Top Bottom