Broody roo?

please tell me how you set up for them to trigger the broodiness

I think the key is getting them to bond with their partner. They won't want to breed with someone they haven't bonded to. Keeping quails in pairs really help with this. Most people agree that king quails naturally pair up, and are more likely to go broody.

Japanese quails, however, I think aren't actually that different. I keep several pairs of japanese quails with no issues. People have had them go broody that aren't in pairs (myself included), but they are far more likely to if they are in bonded pairs, because the males have an important role in the process too.

If you want to naturally breed quails, you can't just pick your favourite male and put him with a handful of females in hopes that one will go broody. First of all, you need to be very patient. Introduce the females to several males and let them choose their favourites. A proper bonded pair will sit together, eat together, dust bathe together, build nests together sleep together...

There are other things that can help encourage broodiness, like giving them plenty of space, plenty of food (insects can help, because that's the chicks' main diet in the wild) and providing natural materials to make nests out of (like straw).

I hope this helps :)

I think the key is getting them to bond with their partner. They won't want to breed with someone they haven't bonded to. Keeping quails in pairs really help with this. Most people agree that king quails naturally pair up, and are more likely to go broody.

Japanese quails, however, I think aren't actually that different. I keep several pairs of japanese quails with no issues. People have had them go broody that aren't in pairs (myself included), but they are far more likely to if they are in bonded pairs, because the males have an important role in the process too.

If you want to naturally breed quails, you can't just pick your favourite male and put him with a handful of females in hopes that one will go broody. First of all, you need to be very patient. Introduce the females to several males and let them choose their favourites. A proper bonded pair will sit together, eat together, dust bathe together, build nests together sleep together...

There are other things that can help encourage broodiness, like giving them plenty of space, plenty of food (insects can help, because that's the chicks' main diet in the wild) and providing natural materials to make nests out of (like straw).

I hope this helps :)
thank you..that means i really need more space...i think iv'e got 1 pair based on what you've said

Back
Top Bottom