Broody rooster??

TeachMEchickens

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2023
Okay, so I know he's not actually broody, but can a rooster keep eggs warm enough throughout the night? My hen just started sitting on eggs, but I have a rooster who always sleeps in the nesting box where most of the hens like to lay. He kicked the hen out tonight and is sitting on the eggs! Will they be OK? Should I stop him from doing this or just let them be?

Is there room on the roosts for him? How high is he in the pecking order?
Roosters will nest, even brood sometimes but there could other reasons.

Is there room on the roosts for him? How high is he in the pecking order?
Roosters will nest, even brood sometimes but there could other reasons.
He does have room. He is fairly high in the pecking order, too. He is protective of the coop - if he is near when I go in to get eggs, he will try to attack me and he stands guard for some of the girls while they lay. I did end up going out and moving him so that momma could go back on her eggs. We will see what happens tomorrow night!

He does have room. He is fairly high in the pecking order, too. He is protective of the coop - if he is near when I go in to get eggs, he will try to attack me and he stands guard for some of the girls while they lay. I did end up going out and moving him so that momma could go back on her eggs. We will see what happens tomorrow night!
Roosters are known to partake in chick raising, and if he is keeping them safe and warm, he may be trying to show the hen he will be a good father. If he isn’t snuggling down on the eggs like the hen would you need to stop him..

Okay, so I know he's not actually broody, but can a rooster keep eggs warm enough throughout the night? My hen just started sitting on eggs, but I have a rooster who always sleeps in the nesting box where most of the hens like to lay. He kicked the hen out tonight and is sitting on the eggs! Will they be OK? Should I stop him from doing this or just let them be?
Very interested in answers to this. I have a Silver Duckwing OEGB who jumps in nest boxes all the time and sits on an egg. He does it throughout the day, but Roosts at night. I wonder if he's trying to entice one of the hens to sit on the eggs.

I have Buff Orphingtons and the roosters are known for helping the hens sit on the eggs as well ad raising the chicks. Some breeds are known for that. Plus I swear they all develop their own personalities, therefore, you could have a rooster that has chosen to help. My cousin has a hen that crows every day. I know, weird but true.

Back
Top Bottom