Broody Runner Duck

jessie133471

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
Heya, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a few questions regarding a broody Indian Runner.

My 11 month old runner (Buggy, her name is) has been broody for a week now. She is sitting on a clutch of 7 and appears to be a very good mummy, only leaving the nest, 2/3 times a day. I also have 3 other runner hens and a drake. The other hens keep laying their eggs in her nest but I keep removing these as I don't want to end up with dozens of eggs and we use their eggs for eating/cooking so we need some :')

The duck house now needs cleaning out, should I just clean up around the nest or remove it and let her remake it herself (which I don't think I should do but wanted to ask anyway)? I don't want to upset her or dissuade her.

Is there anything specific that I need to be doing to ensure that Buggy is happy?

Also, when/if she manages to hatch them, does she need to be separated from the rest of the gang? All 5 of them have been together since they were 1 week old so are very close. But I'm new to all of this so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

First, congratulations on a broody runner! I have had a few, and they are very hard to get to be broody. Second, don't destroy her nest, she might not become broody again. So just go around it. And lastly, when it gets closer to the eggs hatching date move the other ducks for a few days. When the ducklings hatch the other ducks might attack them. That's why I say let her take care of them by herself for about a week, and then let the other ducks in with close supervision.
Hope this helped;)

Thank you!

About 12 days ago, one of our other runners decided to sit on the nest as well :') and this morning, there was a hatched duckling!

I'm going to leave both mamas together and let them sort it between them but will the other 3 ducks need to be housed separately at night to prevent the ducklings from being squashed or do you think they'll be alright?

Hi! So our other 3 are now housed in the garage at night so mama Ducks had the house to themselves.

We currently have 3 ducklings! Only 2 due now! They are so cute! Both ducks appear to be working together, seem quite happy and there isn't any conflict so I'd say, so far so good!

Back
Top Bottom