Broody ???????s...............PICS ADDED

I think it depends on your flock, my silkie hatched 7 babies about 4 months ago ( and she is broody again :eek: ) she stayed with the flock and everyone got along, shes a VERY good mama hen.... it was cute/funny to see her get mad at the other if they came with in a foot of her babies.... I would leave them all togeher unless you see there is a problem and then give them there own space for a week or so... good luck and keep us posted !!!!

Maybe the banties would be like little Cornish Hens!
smile.png

I left Mama and babies in the "General Population" with the roo and rest of the hens. She would pick a section of the yard that the others didn't frequent when she took the babies out and about. They are now at 9 weeks, Mama has resumed laying, and her babies are twice as big as the three I have in an outside brooder, and only a couple days older.

Mama abandoned her nest, and the eggs hadn't finished hatching. Ended up with three more from the incubator.

I'd just move her nest down onto the floor, with a 4 - 6 in sides so the babies wont fall out, but can get back in if they do. She'll protect them from the rest of the flock.

Kathy

Personally I think it depends on a lot of factors: the size of your coop/run makes a huge difference. The temperament of mama is also a factor. I had one hen that was in the coop with the others, and I ended up letting them all free range. I had planned on it anyway, just not that soon. The mother hen would only let the rooster get down of the roosts, the others were so afraid of her, they would have either starved or died of dehydration, she wouldn't let any of them near her!!

Back
Top Bottom