Broody Serama?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bananas, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Bananas

Bananas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    So my 6 month old Serama hen (Lulu), who only started laying eggs about a month ago, just went broody. Now. In the middle of January. I'm not sure what to do. Is it ok for such a young bird to try to raise a brood?
    The other thing is that I've heard that Seramas never go broody and don't make good mothers, but she seems VERY intent on this. What should I do? Should I let her try?

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    NO NO NO, you can let her do it, IF you want babies! My Serama hens have hatched babies, they are great mommas!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  3. Bananas

Jul 29, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ok, it's good to hear other Seramas have been good mothers. I am having nightmarish visions of her hatching babies and then killing them (I can't imagine anything worse than that!).
    I'm not sure if I want any more chicks right now, but I'm thinking about swapping her eggs out with a couple of coturnix quail eggs I've got in the incubator and letting her try her hand at them. Hmmm ...

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG] you could totally do that!

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

FINALLY!!!! I got the call! My Seramas will be delivered today! 12 of the little buggars! 3 weeks late, but.....I'm soooo excited!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Quote:Whoever told you that is a few eggs short of a clutch himself! January is a sucky time to be a chick, so just make sure they're nice and cozy!

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Seramas make GREAT broodies. I have two on eggs now... determined little buggers. I swear this year I'm giving one of them two turkey eggs. They already look really silly on delaware eggs. Seramas raising turkeys would just kill me with funny. Sizzles with turkey poults was hilarious.

8. Quote:YAA!!!!

How many girls and how many boys are you getting?

Matthew

9. Bananas

Jul 29, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow! Yay, I'm excited to have my first broody! I expected the first one would be one of the cochins or something, but little Lulu certainly has gotten the jump on everybody. It's funny, because she's sitting on the "favorite nest" so everybody's laying eggs on top of her. I'm gonna have to keep a tight eye on her, because when I first noticed her on the nest she had her own 4 eggs, plus 16 other various assorted LF eggs and one duck egg!!! The eggs were all piled up and she had no hope of covering so many (I took the extra eggs out from under her and almost lost a finger doing it!)

Anyway, thanks so much everybody for the encouragement [​IMG] I'm getting excited about the idea now that my doubts have been dealt with! And Birdaholic, good luck with your seramas, I have thoroughly enjoyed my little trio, they are shy, but real sweeties [​IMG]

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Seramas make excellent mothers!!!

[​IMG]

The roosters are very gentle to the chicks as well
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by