Broody sex link

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Strange_Screams, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Strange_Screams

Strange_Screams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    So, I have this year old black sex link, who I initially just thought was acting weird. Of course its a production strain that has gone broody and me with no rooster.

So what are the pros and cons of the different methods of breaking the broody or utilizing it?

Just kicking her out of the nest every day hasn't worked, I did find one method that seems really logical here:
    Sunny Side Up's breaking Broody Method

I'm also considering either placing day old chicks under her or hatching eggs.

What successes and failures with these methods and others have ya'll had?

2. Strange_Screams

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I suppose I never get any answers because I always post in the wrong thread, lol. This should be in egglaying and behaviors.

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We have both used day olds and fertile eggs. If she is serious, either should work. One thing is the time of year. In the north here, it's getting late to hatch. If you are in the south, go for it. To break a broody, separate them in an area where there is no place for them to snuggle down and be comfy and keep lots of air moving under them.

4. Strange_Screams

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I'm in Texas, last year was our coldest year ever and the only reason I needed a heat lamp was to keep the water defrosted. She is one of my best layers, I need her around, but as usual I don't mind a couple more babies. *grin*

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I had a hatchery Black Star go broody 2 years ago. I didnt have a rooster at the time so I had to break her. I put her in a cage with feed and water for a week in the garage and that broke her broodiness.

6. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have Red Sex-Links and had one go broody just last week. We just picked up the eggs several times a day while putting her off the nest. Only took about 3 days and she got the idea. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by