Broody Silkie w/Wry Neck

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Dandelion, 3.5 yo Silkie, is broody (what? a broody Silkie?!) and has developed wry neck. Either that or she's very interested in the coop ceiling.

I was going to feed scrambled egg with 400 IU of vit E and topped with vit B complex because that's what I would give the average hen.

Do I need to account for the fact that she only weighs 1 lb?

Just checking.

Ok. So I go out there just now, and Dandelion is 100% fine? Whaaaa??? This morning, her head was pointed straight up, and she kept running into things.

I gave her the eggs anyway, and I'm grateful she's ok, but her condition presented as pretty significant wry neck.

But idk.
:confused:

My 2 silkies were always broody, at least every other month for their whole lives. If you do see the signs of wry neck again, those dosages of the E and 1/4 tablet of the B complex is good to use. Could she have injured her head?

My 2 silkies were always broody, at least every other month for their whole lives. If you do see the signs of wry neck again, those dosages of the E and 1/4 tablet of the B complex is good to use. Could she have injured her head?
I don't think so. I looked, but I didn't see anything, and she is not picked on at all. She's feisty! And being in the nest, it'd be hard for any of the other birds to get to her. But it's not impossible.

This is the first time I've ever had something like this in my flock.

Ok. So I go out there just now, and Dandelion is 100% fine? Whaaaa??? This morning, her head was pointed straight up, and she kept running into things.

I gave her the eggs anyway, and I'm grateful she's ok, but her condition presented as pretty significant wry neck.

But idk.
:confused:
Wry neck starts coming on in episodes. Sounds like you caught it really early.

Keep doing what you're doing. And yes, you can OD a chicken on vitamins, but your dosage is fine. Don't forget to give her Selinium to help absorption of the Vitamin E.

Wry neck starts coming on in episodes. Sounds like you caught it really early.

Keep doing what you're doing. And yes, you can OD a chicken on vitamins, but your dosage is fine. Don't forget to give her Selinium to help absorption of the Vitamin E.
Selenium toxicity worries me a bit, but I gave her egg.

Is it normal for a hen to start experiencing wry neck at 3.5 years old? Will it get progressively worse as she ages?

Selenium toxicity worries me a bit, but I gave her egg.

Is it normal for a hen to start experiencing wry neck at 3.5 years old? Will it get progressively worse as she ages?

There is Selinium in green peas. It's unusual for older chickens to get wry neck, but it's either a head injury (which Silkies are especially susceptible to) or nutritional deficiency. She's broody. Hens stop eating normally. Once you correct the issue, it's gone.

Without Selinium, she may not absorb the vitamins in sufficient amounts.

There is Selinium in green peas. It's unusual for older chickens to get wry neck, but it's either a head injury (which Silkies are especially susceptible to) or nutritional deficiency. She's broody. Hens stop eating normally. Once you correct the issue, it's gone.

Without Selinium, she may not absorb the vitamins in sufficient amounts.
How much selenium for a 1 lb Silkie? She is an exceptionally small Silkie.

I would use scrambled egg (whites and yolk) just a little each day for selenium. Not much is needed for uptake of vitamin E. Yolk has much of the vitamins and minerals in eggs. The white albumen also contains some, and the most nutrition comes from cooked rather than raw egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom