Broody sitting on one egg

brierose3

Songster
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Central Coast, Australia
After removing an egg a day because we didn't intend to have chicks and trying to break her out of her broodiness, our Australorp is still determined to hatch some babies. The other three hens are not laying at all an now Ebony is only sitting on one egg. We have decided to let her hatch her own chicks and tried to move her and her egg to the nest box in the outside coop as it is beginning to get really hot (30+ degrees C) and the outdoor coop has more fresh air. Once moved she did not sit on her egg and just waited at the door. When I opened the door she ran straight back into the other coop and sat on her empty nest. I gave her back her egg and now she is happy. Also there seems to have been a new egg each morning though I don't know who is laying.
So I just want to know why the others aren't laying any eggs and what to do.

Sometimes hens stop laying when it gets hot. Not all of mine do, but my heavier breeds (my Orpingtons particularly) stop occasionally in the summer. For your broody, I would wait until after dark when she is groggy with sleep and try to move her to your other coop. This reduces the stress level on her. She will explore for a while, but after some time, she should get back on her nest.

Sometimes hens stop laying when it gets hot.  Not all of mine do, but my heavier breeds (my Orpingtons particularly) stop occasionally in the summer.  For your broody, I would wait until after dark when she is groggy with sleep and try to move her to your other coop.  This reduces the stress level on her.  She will explore for a while, but after some time, she should get back on her nest. 

Thank you. Hopefully it will work because tomorrow is supposed to reach 40 degrees Celsius and it tends to get hot in the shed.

Is it okay to leave that egg with her and tomorrow we will buy some fertile eggs. Would she accept the chicks if some are a different breed (probably silkie and frizzle)

Last edited:
Also we have cicadas where we live and the constant buzzing is extremely loud. Would this stress the chicks and mother out if they are in the outside coop where the noise would be louder.

I wouldn't think they would notice the cicadas.

The broody won't be laying so that means you are getting an egg between the other three. Look at their combs. Dull or pale is less likely to be laying than red.

She won't care if there is an egg or not most likely. A broody will try and hatch nothing but straw. Which also means removing the egg each day will do nothing to stop the broodiness.

She won't care what breed they are.

Before hatching eggs just give some thought to what you will do with the 50% roosters.

Last edited:
We haven't been able to buy some eggs because the people selling them have been away for Christmas. Also, just yesterday Ebony or another hen cracked the egg she has been sitting on. This morning the hens have laid two eggs and Ebony is now sitting on them. Do you think it is too late to leave them with her or should we just take them.

She had been setting for about a week and a half. The others are now laying so we put 5 eggs under her about three days ago
She should stick it out then.
big_smile.png
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom