Broody spilled water all over her...was away from the nest a little bit

Peggysaurus

Songster
Sep 24, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
My broody hen has been sitting on her eggs for almost a week. She has not left very often to get water or food, so I was very worried about her. We have an old enclosed dog crate where I placed her to hatch out some eggs. I put her food and water in there and it looks like the water spilled all out under her. She left the nest with her underside entirely soaked with two eggs sticking to her. I don't know how long she was away from the nest, but I know it was at least an hour. She is brooding them again and is in a secure position. My question is, will the eggs still be able to hatch?

My broody hen has been sitting on her eggs for almost a week. She has not left very often to get water or food, so I was very worried about her. We have an old enclosed dog crate where I placed her to hatch out some eggs. I put her food and water in there and it looks like the water spilled all out under her. She left the nest with her underside entirely soaked with two eggs sticking to her. I don't know how long she was away from the nest, but I know it was at least an hour. She is brooding them again and is in a secure position. My question is, will the eggs still be able to hatch?
It is not impossible. How far along are they in development? Were they still warm?

The best I can describe it is that it was neither warm nor cold. They are about aweek along.
Nest was just soaked, but the eggs were a little wet of course. The water was warm.
I would put them with the hen on a dry nest, candle them now, and after a few days, candle them again, to see if they are still developing.

Back
Top Bottom