Broody spooked off nest Day 20 FINAL UPDATE!

You all have given me hope!! Thanks so much!!
hugs.gif

It was a beautiful day here today...sunshine & 69 degrees!
wee.gif

Quote:
I agree. It sounds like something disturbed your broody, enough to get her off the nest & up over the barricade. And she settled back on another nest with eggs, not knowing it wasn't her original nest of egglings.

It's up to you what to do with them. There is a chance that they will still hatch under the hen, especially if you put her back on them as soon as possible. And yes, they may be delayed in hatching because of the chilling. I've had this happen with a broody hen, she got off the nest right before hatch day and let her egglings get cold, but they still hatched. Or you could put them all in the incubator, and give the hen chicks when they've hatched.

This is why it's ideal to have your broody completely isolated/barricaded during her set. Other hens like to lay their eggs in a broody's nest, often pushing her off in the process. And broodys often get misdirected on their way back from their coffee breaks and go to set on a different nest.

By the way, I'm of the school of Leave The Broody Alone thinking, I never take my hens off the nest to eat & drink. Left alone they will get up when they feel it's best, usually only ONCE a day, to eat, drink & take a giant poop. They seem to know just how long to time their breaks, taking longer in warm weather, keeping it brief in the cold. I do watch them carefully to see if they seem to be neglecting themselves, or getting mites, to make sure they have sufficient food & water, to make sure they're pooping out of the nest at least once every other day or so. As long as they seem all right, I leave them alone.

If she's still on them in the morning I'd screen her in, put food and water close to her and hope for the best.
Let us know what happens!

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Happyhens...I last candled Wednesday (Day 18)...all was well.

Sunny Side Up...I also normally just let broodys "do their thing"...but this first timer did not eat or drink for the first 5 days & was pooping where she sat. I thought best to intervene.

Suebee..she is seperated in her own little pen with food & water available....she is currently still on the eggs
big_smile.png

Thanks all!!
smile.png

Quote:
For what its worth, I think you did the right thing. I know, I know..everybody says to leave them alone. My first time broody SF, young too, was like yours. She was losing weight and not pooping. I had to force her off.

Quote:
For what its worth, I think you did the right thing. I know, I know..everybody says to leave them alone. My first time broody SF, young too, was like yours. She was losing weight and not pooping. I had to force her off.

I find that it's usually the first timers that do this....I guess they're just not sure they're supposed to or that it's ok to get off!
gig.gif
They're usually fine the next time! This little girl has been a pleasure to have...never a peck or even a growl & I know she'll be a great mother! Thanks Gritty!

Well certainly, in that case it was best to intervene. That's why I advise close observation -but- hands off as long as the hen isn't neglecting herself. But if she is, then you need to help. Some folks just routinely pluck their broodies off their nests from the first day of their set, which I feel is unnecessary. Or hand-feed them special tempting treats so they'll eat their usual amount of food, when I think they need much less since they're much less active.

I know that some broodies are bird-brains (no offense) but I have observed some remarkable Mamas in action. I am so impressed with how they know just how long to time their breaks with the outside temperatures, the way they'll flatten themselves over the nest in cold weather, and once I saw a broody standing up over her eggs during a hot spell.

Quote:

I find that it's usually the first timers that do this....I guess they're just not sure they're supposed to or that it's ok to get off!
gig.gif
They're usually fine the next time! This little girl has been a pleasure to have...never a peck or even a growl & I know she'll be a great mother! Thanks Gritty!

The upside is that my clueless broody is by all appearances so far being an excellent mama. Today I gave her some fresh food and put it up really close to her. She started clucking at the babies who came out from under her and she beak fed them. OMG! Such a beautiful sight.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom