Broody tried to eat new weak chick

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
Well, one of our little Hennie Penny eggs PIP'd yesterday. when I went to check on it this morning it was halfway out of the egg and shrink wrapped, half dried, and obviously weak. So of course I did the forbidden and peeled back the dried membrane, allowing it to hatch fully. I set it under mama who promptly tried to eat it.
barnie.gif

Of course my incubator is shut off, so I put it in my bra to warm while the bator is heating up. No other eggs have PIP'd that I can tell, but hopefully in the next 3 days some will hatch and mama will not eat them so I can put this one back in with the rest, assumign it survies.

Did I mention I did this all on crutches after having major ankle surgery with hardware isntalled a week ago?

Oh and the chickie in my bra is sooooo cute.

Do you have any idea how that last sentence sounds?
lau.gif
I'm glad you saved the little one. Hope he/she makes it.
thumbsup.gif

s/he's starting to move around a bit more and peep, and opened an eye briefly. I have high hopes :)

I already love her so
love.gif

Mama is a splash bantam cochin, papa is a white frizzle bantam cochin

Ahh, she's cute!
love.gif
Please post more pics when she's fluffed up. She looks gorgeous!

Shell fluffified now but still really droopy. I have her on a hand towel in the incubator, assuming jest letting her rest is best. I hope she'll be ok. i hear the occasional peep. She's sure a cutie pie...

She is cute! Nice colouring. It's getting late here, so I'm going to bed soon, but I'll check in on you again tomorrow morning. Hope she perks up!

Here she is! Still weak, but I gave her a couple sips of sugar water and she's starting to hold her head up a little bit. She's back in my bra hanging out with me.
smile.png

She's adorable! You're not going to want to put her back with mom after all this! BTW, what's happening there? Any more hatching?

Back
Top Bottom