1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody vs rooster and wrong nests oh my

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by superchemicalgirl, Dec 20, 2010.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I have my first broody hen - a GLW. Why she picked the shortest days of the year to sit, I'll never know. Maybe she's just cold and is warmer on the nest (and being broody is a great way to break the winter tedium!).

Anyway, I am making her get up off the nest daily (today is day 3) to stretch, eat and do the unholy broody poop thing.

When she went out of the coop today the rooster attacked her! He kept trying to mate her, she kept fighting him and there was quite a racket. I chased him off but he did it again later when I went back into the coop. I chased him off again and he was all kinds of clucking mad. He's got 31 other girls to service (and some play very hard to get) so it's not like he needs this ones antics.

I don't want to separate the broody from the rest of the flock (I'm actually hoping she doesn't hatch eggs in the middle of winter but I'm not going to try and break her any more) but I'm concerned about the rooster. Is it normal for roosters and broody hens to fight?

Also, what a birdbrain she is... she continually gets back on the wrong nest - there's 3 to choose from on her level. I thought last night she was just confused because of the fake nest eggs in the other boxes so I removed them. Today 2 of the nests had no eggs in it (after I had collected) - she scrutinized all of them before choosing one without eggs in it! I practically had to force her back into the correct nest box (because despite the fact that I don't want her to hatch chicks, I really don't want her to waste her precious energy on a bald nest). I guess I should be happy that she's at least remembering the correct nest box level (because there's 3) but holy moly what a bad mom!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by