broody w/ feedstore chicks- pics (update!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kittykorat, May 20, 2010.

1. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    She isn't hurting them, but for the most part she is just sitting on her nest watching them. Is that normal? They have been running all over the crate eating, drinking, etc while she sits on the nest and watches....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

She's gonna be a great mommy! Looks like she has kinda adopted these as well.

3. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    This will be interesting to see how their relationship develops.

We had our very first broody setting on 8 eggs this spring and she hatched out 6 healthy chicks. Watching her mother them has been amazing!

The first day,or two, as they were hatching under her body, I believe she really didn't move off of the nest at all. Then she began walking over to the feed and water and "teaching" them to eat and drink. Tehy are a little over a week old now and they are definitely a "unit" mother and babies are NEVER far apart.

Let us know what your momma does over these next couple of days! The fact that she is not pecking them to death has got to be a good sign!!!

4. nursemeh

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    oh... I was about to type that she was beautiful when I got pulled away from computer.....

she's a beautiful hen!!!

5. NewEnglandChick

NewEnglandChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Midcoast Maine
    This is really encouraging for me to see, as I have a broody hen right now. I'm possibly getting her eggs to lay on and hatch herself, but I wondered how she would do if I just put my feed store chicks in with her (they should be here in about 2 weeks or so). Glad to see that method also works!

Thanks for the pics - she's lovely!

6. kittykorat

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    She's still just sitting on the nest, and every once in awhile pecks a chick. Hmmm... she's not trying to kill the chickies or anything, just mostly watches them, doesn't interact... [​IMG]

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I just had my broody Black Giant Jersey raise 2 chicks, it was good fun watching her. She taught them everything. She even showed them to take treats from me, then one evening she thought her job was done and went back to the laying coop and never looked back, The babies stay to them self no one else bothers them and they know where the choose free ranging is.

8. nursemeh

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    mstricer, about what age were the chicks when the momma thought her job was done?

I've read its around 6 weeks, just curious if the momma ever hangs out with her brood a little longer.

9. nursemeh

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    OP,
    I've never seen my momma hen peck one of her chicks. I'd watch them closely!
    She "scolds" them of course, but never a full on peck!

Also, there is constant interaction between our momma and her chicks.... I wonder if in a day or so your momma hens instincts will kick in more.
    hope so!

10. kittykorat

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    I just checked on them this morning. They are all still well.
    They were jumping all over her. It's a bit chilly... so it looked like they were running to eat and drink then climbing back on the mama. [​IMG]
    It is her first time going broody.. she's 9 months old.
    She's still not interacting a lot with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by