Broody walking weird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arkk, May 21, 2019.

1. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I don't know about the hen's health with that walk. It's normal for them to walk around puffed up and clucking but that waddling is different. But that's not why I'm responding. It sounds like you are headed for a problem if the number of eggs is increasing.

A hen needs to be able to cover all the eggs. If she can't one will get pushed out, cool off, and likely die. Then it gets pulled back under and another gets pushed out to die. You usually do not get good hatches when that happens.

The other issue is a staggered hatch. The later eggs will not have been incubated long enough to hatch before the hen has to take the first chicks that hatch off to find food and water. You wind up with developing chicks that die in the shell. Not a pleasant experience.

The way I manage a broody that hatches with the flock is to mark the eggs I want her to hatch and give them to her all at the same time. Then every day after the others have laid I check under her and remove any eggs that don't belong.

If it were me I'd mark a few of her eggs and leave them while tossing the rest. Then I'd collect all that I want her to hatch from the other hens, mark them,and start over, tossing all the old eggs. She has only been broody a week so you have some time to do that.

Another option is to just mark what she has and go from there, as long as she can cover all of them. Check under her daily and remove any that don't belong. You might try candling the eggs and see if you can tell relative ages of development if you want to reduce the number of eggs but that is not always easy to do, especially if you have no experience candling. Just do the best you can.

aart likes this.
  2. Lizzy733

Lizzy733 Chirping

Nov 13, 2018
    New Zealand
    She might be weak from lack of self care... make sure she is getting off the nest daily to sort herself out - this shouldn't break her - and have feed\water nearby the nest where she can easily get to it. Brooding is very taxing, so giving her a ration of chick starter crumble might help as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: