Broody white leghorn maybe ?

str8m8

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 2, 2013
Moorina Australia
Hi have a 9 month old leghorn that sits on eggs draws them under her when placed near growls and pecks at me then after a few hours gets off them and runs around squarking for half an hour. is she broody or as broody as leghorn gets? i heard they are useless for hatching chicks.

It happens sometimes. Her behavior now may be 'pre broody'. If she starts staying in the nest box overnight and fulltime during the day, she will then be broody.

So it is possible that she will go broody. ive been told leghorns dont go fully broody and wont ever hatch any eggs.i cant find anyone who has had success after 21 days?

It is possible for any breed of hen to go broody. It is just very rare for Leghorns to go broody.

You could get a more reliable brood hen if you want to hatch eggs.

Bullit, what breed is the rooster in your profile picture? I have a little guy that looks almost exactly like that and I don't know what kind he is. He's a bantam and beautiful!

Bullit, what breed is the rooster in your profile picture? I have a little guy that looks almost exactly like that and I don't know what kind he is. He's a bantam and beautiful!

It's not my rooster. It is a Single Comb Light Brown Leghorn.

It happens sometimes. Her behavior now may be 'pre broody'. If she starts staying in the nest box overnight and fulltime during the day, she will then be broody.
Yep, very possible. I had a broody leghorn hen, but she was not a good mother. Killed her first hatchling.

Str8m8 if she does go broody, and you let her, watch her closely when the eggs are about to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom