Broody will get off the eggs...when?

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
So, I have a broody that will be on the nest 20 days sometime next week. I wanted to know, if the eggs don't hatch, will she leave them/end the broodiness?
Should I buy her fertile eggs? Try to break her?
What do I do? None of the eggs have spoiled yet, don't know if that's normal, new to broody hens.

I would give it a few more days and then if nothing remove the eggs very carefully. The hen may give up if you keep the eggs removed and remove her from the nest regularly.

Do you have a rooster? If you do then they should hatch. If they don't, throw them out and pick up her eggs everyday and she will stop. If none hatch then she should sit til she starts to break those nasty rotten eggs and it stinks!

Are the eggs she is sitting fertile. I don't know what happens if they don't hatch. I have 2 broody sitting eggs and I think a 3rd going broody she has been laying every day like the 1st broody did. I didn't know hen went broody in the autumn.

Hi! Have you candled to see if any of the eggs are developing?
I wanted to know, if the eggs don't hatch, will she leave them/end the broodiness?

Yes, she'll go back to being a hen with no mental scars because the eggs didn't hatch.
smile.png

Lisa​

When I have a broody, I always snatch a couple and candle to see if there is a possibility of them hatching. If they are growing, then I leave her alone, if not, then they go. Give her a couple more days.

Anything yet?

Candling is a wonderful thing... I always thought it would be too difficult to interpret what I was seeing... but it isn't! The more you do it, the more you understand what you are seeing.

I recently got a little Coleman from Walmart... it's great! Get the one with the most lumens!

Back
Top Bottom