Broody will keep them warm enough?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by new chick 203, Oct 1, 2011.

1. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    My broody's eggs are starting to hatch today, and I was wondering if she will be able to keep them warm enough on her own. The forecast calls for some temps in the 40s and maybe even 30s later this week. When she did this before it was Spring . I could but the heat rope under the nest box. Thanks.

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Yes, as long as she can cover them well so none are out from under her (which she obviously can or else they wouldn't be hatching) she will do just fine on them while they hatch. And hatching only takes a day, two at most so don't worry about later in the week. Hope this helps!

3. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I was going to let her raise them. Should I take them from her and put them under a heat lamp?

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    leave them with her she will take care of them. I have 2 broodies with 19 babies between the 2 of them. One is out side in the broody cage one is inside the garage in her cage. If you are worried about the temps you can put a heat lamp in the broody area you have with them. Thats what I did last spring when my broody hatched her first clutch and it was still pretty cold.

5. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I would let her raise them - less work, + as long as she can cover them you won't need to run a heat lamp either

6. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:Ditto, we have had many broodies earlier this spring and they a lll did a great job raising their chicks, you want to make sure that the chicks have the right kind of feed for their age though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by