Broody with a great hatch woo hoo for all the broodys.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by okiehen, Jun 23, 2008.

1. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    My mix breed broody hen has had a great hatch. We started out with one dozen barred rock's. At day 11 I had to move her to a new pet taxi nest as we were infested with fleas.
    Day 11 all eggs looked good but one so I marked it with a big ? so I would know it. Today she has 10 babies so I moved the 2 eggs to the bator that I have ready just in case. The one egg is the ? marked egg. So I'll just wait and see on the other one.
    We don't have her chick tractor ready yet, so she is in my brooder for a little while.
    I'll get pictures as soon as she is comfy .
    [​IMG]

2. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Congratulations on the hatch!

What do you do to treat chicken fleas? I'm new at this.

3. okiehen

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I dusted every thing with DE. She don't and didn't have any
    But I wanted to make sure. Fleas don't prefer chickens.
    I think the DE helped in her nest. The fleas prefer to bit me.
    It's in my barn, feed - hay room. I had 2 momma cats raise kittens in there and when they moved out they left there fleas.
    I need to spray it all again. I still have 2 chickens in there in crates.
    Thank you

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Congrats to you and your hen. I had a hen hatch 9 chicks out of 9 eggs a couple of weeks ago. She was one I put in a cage and just lft her. Didn't bother her except to make sure she had food and water. I am not always so lucky at moving them,but when it can be done,they do so much better. I have 7 hens setting in nest boxes in 2 different pens and 1 in her own cage. So far this year I have had 12 broody hens.

5. okiehen

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thank you, it looks like 10 is the number.
    The other 2 eggs started weeping so I took the out and the one exploded. yuck I'm glad it was out side I'm afraid to check the other one its the ? marked egg.

6. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    i had a peking duck go broody, wich by the way i very rare and she hatched all 14 of her eggs and another who hatched all 10 of hers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by