Broody with a great hatch woo hoo for all the broodys.

okiehen

Songster
12 Years
Oct 25, 2007
Oklahoma
My mix breed broody hen has had a great hatch. We started out with one dozen barred rock's. At day 11 I had to move her to a new pet taxi nest as we were infested with fleas.
Day 11 all eggs looked good but one so I marked it with a big ? so I would know it. Today she has 10 babies so I moved the 2 eggs to the bator that I have ready just in case. The one egg is the ? marked egg. So I'll just wait and see on the other one.
We don't have her chick tractor ready yet, so she is in my brooder for a little while.
I'll get pictures as soon as she is comfy .
jumpy.gif

I dusted every thing with DE. She don't and didn't have any
But I wanted to make sure. Fleas don't prefer chickens.
I think the DE helped in her nest. The fleas prefer to bit me.
It's in my barn, feed - hay room. I had 2 momma cats raise kittens in there and when they moved out they left there fleas.
I need to spray it all again. I still have 2 chickens in there in crates.
Thank you

Congrats to you and your hen. I had a hen hatch 9 chicks out of 9 eggs a couple of weeks ago. She was one I put in a cage and just lft her. Didn't bother her except to make sure she had food and water. I am not always so lucky at moving them,but when it can be done,they do so much better. I have 7 hens setting in nest boxes in 2 different pens and 1 in her own cage. So far this year I have had 12 broody hens.

Thank you, it looks like 10 is the number.
The other 2 eggs started weeping so I took the out and the one exploded. yuck I'm glad it was out side I'm afraid to check the other one its the ? marked egg.

i had a peking duck go broody, wich by the way i very rare and she hatched all 14 of her eggs and another who hatched all 10 of hers.

Back
Top Bottom