Broody won't get off nest and has pooped on the eggs ...

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I have a few broodies that for some reason will not get off the nest to poop. Zarah has loaded these eggs with poop which has dried on them. HOw on earth do I get this off without damaging the chicks inside them? SHould I try sandpapering it off until it is at least just a thin layer? These eggs are completely fouled - one has a layer of about half an inch thick in the one section and it is like concrete!!! I am concerned about the chances of the chicks ... anyone else had this happen? I have had two hens in a row that would not get off the nest by themselves - what is the deal with that!?

If she won't get off the nest by herself, throw her off the nest once a day. That's what I had to do a few times with my broody last year. As far as the poo goes, yes it can harm the eggs ability to survive, as it clogs the pores of the egg. Take them out when you've kicked her off, and sandpaper them. Or you could try washing them gently with a damp towel. Sandpaper will probably be easier though. Good luck.

Yes, I think that maybe I should just go at the same time once a day and get her off the nest and I will try to clean everything up. As it is there are only three eggs under her and I really need her to hatch at least one of them because I can't break her of her broodiness! Exasperating girl she is! Maybe I can sandpaper the worst off and then wipe them down with damp papertowel.

First of all
sickbyc.gif
and I'm sorry that happened!! I agree that forcing her off the nest is a good idea. I had to use a shovel to scoop a broody off the nest last fall (she was vicious and drew blood on me a couple of times, till I wised up to the shovel idea). She squawked and protested but usually pooped (even though she was getting off the nest on her own at a different point during the day, usually at mid-day). I forced her off because I have a compulsive-candling problem and i was terrified of poop on the eggs.

Is she a first-time broody? What day are the eggs on?

Well, I found that Zarah will not get off the nest except maybe once a week and in the meantime she poops on the nest! She has been broody a number of times before but this is the first time I have had eggs under her. I wasn't able to break her broody streak this time so I caved... what a hassle! Normally the broody does all the work for you but this girl and her sister require me to go everyday with some food, I set her on newspaper where she takes a lovely big stinky dump and then I put her back. Unfortunately I was sick the last few days and couldn't do our usual routine. SO she just caked the eggs. The eggs are due to hatch on the 9th March. I already had one of her sisters die because she starved and dehydrated herself in the cold weather while broody. Her other sister has four chicks right now because I couldn't break her of the broodiness and I had to feed her everyday and take her off the nest to poop, but she was not a compulsive nest pooper like Zarah!

Back
Top Bottom