Broody wyandotte :o)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jossanne, Jan 5, 2011.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Just brought my broody inside to the cage I've got set up for her to set in. Her eggs from PearlySue should be coming in the mail this morning. [​IMG] Cross your fingers for us that she settles down and relaxes on the nest I made her before it's time to put the eggs under. This is our first try at seramas and her first try at being broody, and I'm nervous. Hoping in 3 weeks to have a bunch of cute little bitties running around! [​IMG]

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Be sure and put some eggs under her - any kind to help her keep that broody on while the eggs to you are in transit. Happy and blessed Hatching! Nancy

----------------------------------------------------------

Our current auctions are:

Bonus Lavendar Orpington Eggs & 10+ Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Eggs
    10+ Blue Cooper Marans & Splash Marans (Mostly Blues!) eggs
    12+ Buff Orpington Hatching Eggs
    10+ Crested and Non Crested Pekin Duck Eggs - No Reserve!
    Pickup only - Pure Coronation Sussex Rooster at the Point of Crowing!

3. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Thanks Bargain, did that, and she's settled right in. Except when the dog comes in the computer room... have to do something about that. She's been broody for a little over a week already, silly girl. She's only 8 months old, and she's laid probably less than a dozen eggs in her young life. I think she's going to be a broody machine!

The eggs didn't come today, so she'll have to wait til Friday morning before I put her own special little eggs under there. Hoping they arrive safely in this cold.

4. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:I'm so jealous! [​IMG] Hope you have good luck with her!

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Do you have her in your house?

6. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:Yes, I have a hard enough time hatching shipped eggs without them being out in freezing weather. I want them to have every chance they can get. We were having such a lovely, warm December, and then last week happened and it all changed. Went from much warmer than normal to much colder than normal. Besides, she's a LF wyandotte, and she's hatching serama eggs, so I want to be right here by her when the babies are hatching so I can make sure they don't get squashed. She's hanging out about 4' from where I'm sitting right now.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Your house is really going to stink [​IMG] They poop this poop like no other. I had my hen in my attached garage it was pretty gross. Even though she was in a Extra Large dog cage with a pen around her it was yucky had to keep it well ventilated, and that was in the summer. I only brought her in because she insisted laying in insulation and her eggs were very dark and didn't want waste. I hope all goes well with your hatch. I know how hard shipped eggs are to hatch, I stink at it.

8. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Yeah, we've had this party before, with a broody in the house. I just make sure to scoop every time she poops. Last broody, though, was a bantam, and her poos were not nearly as big as this girl's are going to be. [​IMG] Luckily my computer room isn't too close to the rest of the house, and we can close doors to keep the stench down. I must be a total crazy chicken lady... with a very patient husband! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by