Broody

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
So one of my hens goes broody often. Like every few weeks. I'm finally giving in after 2 years of this and eating her sit on some eggs. Fingers crossed she'll make a good mom. But I've never done this before. Do I need to do anything? Bring her food and water or will she go get some in the run? Once she has chicks will she protect them or should I move her to a seperate place by herself with them when they hatch? Anything else?

She will get off the nest once or twice a day to eat, drink and have a break.

It depends on your flock dynamics as to whether you need to separate her or not. She will protect them but if you have some very dominant hens and she has quite a few chicks to keep track of then some hens do like to make trouble especially if you don't have a rooster to protect the broody and babies.

I always keep the broody and her babies in a small cage in the main coop for a month then let them out to free range with the rest of the flock once the chicks are a week old. That gives them time to really bond without the stress of the rest of the flock interfering.

You don't have to break a broody (I never do because you're fighting a losing battle). She will give up after around 6-7 weeks of sitting. Then she will molt then start to lay again.

She will get off the nest once or twice a day to eat, drink and have a break.

It depends on your flock dynamics as to whether you need to separate her or not. She will protect them but if you have some very dominant hens and she has quite a few chicks to keep track of then some hens do like to make trouble especially if you don't have a rooster to protect the broody and babies.

I always keep the broody and her babies in a small cage in the main coop for a month then let them out to free range with the rest of the flock once the chicks are a week old. That gives them time to really bond without the stress of the rest of the flock interfering.

You don't have to break a broody (I never do because you're fighting a losing battle). She will give up after around 6-7 weeks of sitting. Then she will molt then start to lay again.
Thank you. My flock is pretty good with babies. The only one who has caused trouble is one of the youngest ones who's not laying but broody is pretty feisty so I'm hoping she will keep the babies safe. 9 do worry about her actually not being a good mom. We shall see.

If you let her set where other hens are, Mark the eggs you give her and remove others daily.
Yes, I marked them today. I'm only letting her keep 4. Don't really want more chicks than that. She did get off of the nest today so I thought maybe I was wrong but is back on it tonight. I'll check again tomorrow.

I like to separate broody from flock, but I have a perfect setup for that,
a temporary wire wall in coop with a separate run.

I like to separate broody from flock, but I have a perfect setup for that,
a temporary wire wall in coop with a separate run.
I have a setup where I usually put any new chicks I get so I can brood them in the coop. I can move her there but I'm worried I may break her now if I move her.

I have a setup where I usually put any new chicks I get so I can brood them in the coop. I can move her there but I'm worried I may break her now if I move her.
Yep, I use it for that too....and I do move the broody before I give her fresh fertile eggs.
If she's as broody as we think and it's only been a couple days, might be worth the risk to move her.

Yep, I use it for that too....and I do move the broody before I give her fresh fertile eggs.
If she's as broody as we think and it's only been a couple days, might be worth the risk to move her.
It's really only been last night and today. She was sitting a but yesterday but then got off the nest. I'll see if I can move her.

Back
Top Bottom