Broody

Too funny. I was just asking many of these questions not that long ago and my hen is sitting. I bought eggs for mine. It sounds like she is broody if she isn't leaving the nest and fluffs up. Mine is that way still. I can feed her in there and pet her and she knows I am not there to hurt or steal eggs so she isn't nasty like some people's broodies. I got told to put my hen away from the others but haven't yet. One person made a good suggestion and told me to use a hooded cat pan. I thought that was a good idea and I happened to have one left over my cats passing. I guess the idea is that she will need to be down on the ground where the babies can come out safely (not fall from a nest box) and not be bothered by the other hens or roo.

I set a food and water dish in front of the box yesterday (the nest boxes are level to the floor of our raised coop). This morning she had changed to the next nest box over to set on the RIR's egg instead of the dummy egg - smart girl, lol! I took her out and walked her over the outside feeder - within minutes she was back inside in the box...

Hoping to get ahold of my friend who has offered fertile eggs and hoping even more that my fluffy BO will be a good mama!

Bodes well for a broody. If you buy eggs you might want to put her in a closed nest box so she isn't trying to steal other eggs to sit on and the other hens aren't sneaking in while she is gone for that quick pee to lay eggs in her box.

Hi it has been many weeks and my bantams are still not laying, we've now got chick eggs and they are sitting on them fine, they have 3 under them both as they are small bantams so I would get some eggs and wait and see what happens. Hope I helped

Back
Top Bottom