1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Henly11, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Henly11

Henly11 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    My chicken, Grumpy, has always been a little grumpy, but for the last week she has been extra aggressive to anyone, including me, that tries to go into the roost. She will let one of the others in, but after she lays an egg, Grumpy kicks her out. She sits up there almost all day. I got her to come out this morning, she stayed out for a half hour and goes back in. I went to check for eggs, and she screached at me, and it sounded like a little kid screaching. Is she a broody?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Broodies sit all day and all night on the nest they have chosen, where they can keep eggs warm by sitting on them, to incubate them. Typically, they get off the nest once a day to eat, drink, poop, and get a little exercise, usually for half an hour or less. It sounds like you are saying she is sitting on a roost; not sure what you mean by "into the roost." Do you mean she is in the coop, where she is sitting on a nest?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by