BroodyHens not staying on there own eggs.

chickenchickenbulkbulk

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
OHIO
I have a new hampshire and a black ostrolorp hen that are sitting. When they get off of there nest to eat they never find there way back to there eggs. They are locked in there coop. Why are they going to other nest? I have one in one coop and the other in the other coop. One has 3 nest and the other has 6. The other hens that have set have never had any problems getting back on there nest. What is going on with these two hens? Please help if you can. DJ

I think that's just what hens do. I had three go broody at the same time and they switched nests at least once a day. It doesn't really matter, as long as there's a warm body on the eggs.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

Last edited:
lol, ...i have the same thing going on! my silkie & my frizzle have both gone broody, they keep switching nests too
roll.png

Hmm, I hope I understand your problem correctly.

You have two broody hens, in two separate coops, and neither of them can ever find their nest of eggs, right?

Do you gather all the fresh eggs that are laid so your broodies don't get confused and sit on the wrong pile? If there is only one nest with eggs, the one your broody should be on, then that is kinda strange that they can't find their way back to it.

What level are the nests on? We have bottom nests (Same height as the floor), middle nests, and top nests. Middle are definitely the favorite, and only 1 or 2 top nests are normally used. I generally have my broodies as far away from the popular laying boxes as possible, but if I have a broody in a top nest then I have to put her back on her nest everyday.

When the broodies get off their nests, do you find them on a random nest each time or is it just one nest that they go to?

If all the nests are on the same level, and there is only one nest with eggs, and they always sit on a random nest after getting off the correct nest, then I'd say your hens just have a bad memory. (Sorry, lol, but I can't think of anything else)

I hope you figure it out
smile.png

yes I take the eggs out several times a day. They will sit on the nest with one fake in it. So, I took out the fake eggs to. I am checking on them several times a day to see if they return to there nest. This is their first time setting. I worry about them staying off the original eggs to long and they have gotten to cold. I will have to wait and see. Both the hens have chosen the middle nest box. Now I have a blue cochin wanting to sit!! I am going to go out every 2 hours to keep them on their eggs. Maybe in time they will stay. The other hens have had no issue finding there nest. DJ

Back
Top Bottom