Broody's Eggs Haven't Pipped, Should I be At All Concerned??

Help: I just checked under Rhonda. The chick from last night is all dried off and ADORABLE! And a chick JUST hatched!
jumpy.gif
But, both chick's egg shells were covered in ants, and the ants were kinda on the other eggs, but just because they were going to the egg shells. I removed the egg shells from the nest in hopes the ants will go away. Is there anything else I should do?

I checked under her and the ants left :)
Oh, that's good. I haven't posted here but I've been following along.
smile.png
I got a little alarmed when you said ants were on them, because here in Texas we have some pretty nasty ants. Glad to hear they left with the egg shells.

Oh, that's good. I haven't posted here but I've been following along.
smile.png
I got a little alarmed when you said ants were on them, because here in Texas we have some pretty nasty ants. Glad to hear they left with the egg shells.
I'm going to make sure to check under her now and then so I can make sure to remove the egg shells so the ants don't come back.

I have moved mine before and they did fine. I think it will depend partly on how "mothery" she is. I'd say if you do, start her out in a small box where she can't get out and run away from the eggs or chicks. Once she calms down then you could open it up to a larger area. If she is cool with you checking the chicks and eggs and removing the shells, then I'd bet she'll do fine. If you can do it in the evening and make sure the new "nest" you put her in is also pretty dim, then it'll probably be less stressful for her.

Back
Top Bottom