Broody's Eggs Haven't Pipped, Should I be At All Concerned??

roostersandhens

Flap Your Wings!
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Saving Battery Hens at Happy Hen Chicken Rescue in
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone
jumpy.gif
My hen Rhonda started sitting on her ten eggs 3 weeks ago. Today is day 21, the day they are due to hatch.
I know that when you're incubating the chicks can hatch a little late if the temps go to low, but I doubt that is possible with a broody? It's been really warm here too.

When I wasn't home I was told she came off the nest for her daily food and water, and no eggs looked pipped. So, I am a little concerned, because I thought they should have been pipping yesterday and/or today. And most/some should fully hatch today. This is my 3rd broody and I have never had this happen before.

I hear the eggs peeping, so I know that there are chicks..
Do you think it would disturb her if I peeked under her to see how they are doing? I just feel so rude bugging her.
She looks so proud and I hear Rhonda chatting with them.

Why do you think they haven't pipped? Any ideas? And should I be worried? I would feel so bad if something went wrong after Rhonda worked so hard..

It looks like rain, and I want to bring her in, but the chicks haven't hatched..
hmm.png

I made the important questions bold.

Thanks SO much,
~roostersandhens

Hello everyone
jumpy.gif
My hen Rhonda started sitting on her ten eggs 3 weeks ago. Today is day 21, the day they are due to hatch.
I know that when you're incubating the chicks can hatch a little late if the temps go to low, but I doubt that is possible with a broody? It's been really warm here too.

My broody egg pipped at the end of day 23 and finally hatched day 24, anything is possible LOL Dont panic yet, mother nature works at her own pace, not ours. Its a bit like humans, how many of us hatch exactly on our due date?
big_smile.png
Chickens seem to hit it more often and so we get this idea that if its not out day 21 there is a problem but I think that is more to do with the fact that they do delays measured in hours where we do them in measured in weeks giving the impression that day 21 is the day they have got to arrive.

There is nothing to be gained by peeking (I speak from experince LOL) just give her space to get on with it. If you hear peeping there is no reaon to be worried yet.

Last edited:
Sometimes chicks hatch late, sometimes by the 25th day. Just wait and be patient. If the chicks start to stop making sound and you know the need help here is a link: (which I think you wont have to do)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching (***GRAPHIC***)

Be patient and wait for them to hatch. I think they will be alright.

Okay. That makes me feel a lot better.

My broody egg pipped at the end of day 23 and finally hatched day 24, anything is possible LOL Dont panic yet, mother nature works at her own pace, not ours. Its a bit like humans, how many of us hatch exactly on our due date?
big_smile.png
Chickens seem to hit it more often and so we get this idea that if its not out day 21 there is a problem but I think that is more to do with the fact that they do delays measured in hours where we do them in measured in weeks giving the impression that day 21 is the day they have got to arrive.

There is nothing to be gained by peeking (I speak from experince LOL) just give her space to get on with it. If you hear peeping there is no reaon to be worried yet.
Okay, so I will just let her be and hope everything works out. I am just going to peek once before I go to bed, to make sure that none have hatched, because if any have, I want to bring them (Rhonda, the hatched chicks, and the eggs) in the house because it's suppose to be a rain and thunder storm tonight..

Last edited:
Okay. That makes me feel a lot better.

Okay, so I will just let her be and hope everything works out. I am just going to peek once before I go to bed, to make sure that none have hatched, because if any have, I want to bring them (Rhonda, the hatched chicks, and the eggs) in the house because it's suppose to be a rain and thunder storm tonight..
Unless there is a danger of them getting flooded or wet where they are I wouldnt touch her, babies will be fine under mum, she can keep it pretty darn warm under neath her remember, like a hot summers day. We had flooding rain and thunderstorms as well last night (72mm over night!) and mum just has the baby all tucked up and warm in her feathers just like as if it was a little egg. We have only been able to see it by gently lifting a wing but it scurrys deeper under when we do. Its got no chance of getting chilled because there is no way she is letting it even poke its head out in this cold :)

Dont forget wild birds hatch in the cold and rain all the time, they are much better at keeping them warm than us :) Just make sure you have something to block any wind or rain so the hen doesnt get wet, but if you would leave her there on eggs she is just as okay to leave there with the babies.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mess with her. As stated above, unless she's in danger of getting wet or flooded out of her nest, she's fine where she it. I also agree that you gain nothing by peeking or candling the eggs. They'll hatch or they won't. There's not much you can do about it. Sometimes it just takes a little bit longer.

I wouldn't mess with her. As stated above, unless she's in danger of getting wet or flooded out of her nest, she's fine where she it. I also agree that you gain nothing by peeking or candling the eggs. They'll hatch or they won't. There's not much you can do about it. Sometimes it just takes a little bit longer.
okay We've also been having serious coyote problems.

Does anyone know if coyotes would come out in the rain??

Is she inside a secure coop or did she set up nest somewhere not as safe? It's totally different if you are concerned about her being eaten rather than just able to keep the chicks warm.

Back
Top Bottom