broody's left nest ...10/30 last egg just hatched!

citychickers

Songster
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
Littleton Colorado
We awoke today (day 20) of our hatch to see both of our broodies running around out in the run. I didn't think too much about it, until an hour later I saw them STILL out there. They're both sharing a nest with 7 eggs and religiously are on them, only coming out as broody's do, every once in awhile.

I started to wonder WHY they were out of the nest,so I went to check on the eggs. Ice cold. They had apparently decided (together) enough was enough and they were done with the nesting stuff.

We gathered the ice cold eggs up, brought them in the house, put them in a plastic bowl with a warm damp towel and put them under a heat lamp. The eggs have warmed back up now (we don't have a bator).
idunno.gif

Do we have ANY hope at all? My gut says to candle them again tonight, see if there's any movement at all-and keep praying really hard. Is there ANYTHING else I should be doing? Any ideas that anyone has would be very welcome. Thanks everyone, Kim

hit.gif

Last edited:
I could see movement in 2 of the eggs. I think we'll try to see what happens just by letting them be under the light for a couple of days. If they're meant to hatch they will....... Thank you
hugs.gif

I don't think you have enought time to make a bator. Do you have a Thermometer to see what the temp is? If they were on day 20 maybe you have a chance. I wish you luck and keep us posted.

My hen left the nest early (one hatched and one was cold on day 20) OVERNIGHT!!! I warmed it in my hands for an hour while hubby scrambled around town and tracked down a bator and we put it in. It was delayed a day, but hatched and is now healthy and fine. I think a damp towel (not too damp) and a light bulb in a box is an excellent way to hatch that baby. good luck -25 -40watts. I would get a thermometer and test the temp. you want it around 99.5 -100.5...I think???

smile.png
We were able to candle all seven eggs last night and 6/7 could be seen moving inside. The only one that wasn't moving at all is the one that was due to hatch today. We have made our own incubator using a plastic bowl, dishtowels at the bottom with the eggs laying on top under a heat lamp. Every 9 hours or so I add hot water to the dish towels to keep them damp. The eggs are toasty warm, but since we have no way to control the humidity (the temp is staying right around 100) I think this is about the best we can do. My hatch in spring WITH an incubator went horrible....so I'm hoping and praying that this will work.
hugs.gif

Prayers would be appreciated !

Candled again tonight and 6/7 are still looking good. It looks like the growth is still continuing as well. We'll keep holding out for Lord willing a decent hatch.... Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom