Broomstick Method done today - Thoughts

The v-shape you describe may be the key, but I’m having trouble visualizing it.
I don't have a photo either. Think 5" to 6" nails with a separation of 3/4" at the bottom and 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" separation at the top. Don't obsess over the top measurement, you don't have to be that precise. Put the nails to one side of the stump as shown in that photo so you have the width of the stump to lay the chicken out.

I hold the chicken by the feet and let it settle when I lay it down. Hook the head in that Vee and gently stretch the chicken out. You do not need to pull tight, you just want to hold it steady. I've used this for a fairly small hen to a heritage sized tom turkey.

I don't have a photo either. Think 5" to 6" nails with a separation of 3/4" at the bottom and 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" separation at the top. Don't obsess over the top measurement, you don't have to be that precise. Put the nails to one side of the stump as shown in that photo so you have the width of the stump to lay the chicken out.

I hold the chicken by the feet and let it settle when I lay it down. Hook the head in that Vee and gently stretch the chicken out. You do not need to pull tight, you just want to hold it steady. I've used this for a fairly small hen to a heritage sized tom turkey.
Thank you and @Tre3hugger. I’m glad I asked because I kept coming back to an inverted “V” set up the opposite of what you describe. I thought, by the time I get the chicken’s head threaded through something like that, we’ll both be a total wreck.

The “V” you guys showed/described - I assume you put the head in it after having the chicken upside down to settle, and it stays calm enough to the end. (Gak. Which is exactly what you said. Read, Kitty, read!)

If you have a bucket or 2 gallon pot and some zip ties you could make an easy killing cone . I think 12 inch on top and 4 inch on the bottom is enough for big birds.
DSCN0315.JPG

The nail method works. Just have a bucket or container to drop the neck end in. It does seem to twist and spray blood everywhere. . Comments from experience.. I have also wrung the neck. Hold bird under arm. Put hand over neck with thumb over neck near the head . A quick pull and twist pushing thumb down on the neck should do the trick.
When all the spasms stop, chop of head. Use hot watern to dip chickens in to get feathers of .

Back
Top Bottom