Brown coturnix Quail chick feather development

salsan20

Chirping
5 Years
May 4, 2014
So couldnt find anything on here showing growth development on chicks so thought I would add mine so the next nervous newbie quail mummy had something to compare too :lol:

Should say I had big problems with the incubation temp and all hatched late (Only 3 survived hatching and were 5-7 days late) with problems (one with 2 severely deformed feet, one with 1 deformed foot and one that seemed normed but had a scissor beak that b ecame more and more apparent as he grew until week two where he had to be culled as food gunk kept building round his beak) so mine may not be right, but at least its something to compare too. Both feet problem chicks had little shoes made for them and are now fine! My incubater now has a better thermostat and more accurate thermometer (thank you guys for your helpful comments particularly Quailjailer!) and lockdown for next batch is day after tomorrow:D

Anyway Day 3

Day 10

Day 13

Today 3 weeks exactly, think left is a roo and right a hen

Please if mine are developing too slowly or too fast add your comments as next newbie mummy can compare!

I know, I am not 100% by any means as 'he' has some speckling round the throat but also some clear goldeny brown patches as well. Leaning towards roo rather than hen as for last week and a half he stands tall regularly and makes a sound like a rather muted goose honking which im guessing is an attempt at crowing. Also lighter framed than the other one and while she happily and quietly peeps he honks if you put your hand in to change food etc, at night, in the morning and at any unexpected noise (neither attempt to fly unless they are picked up in which case they wriggle and then flutter down to brooder floor-guessing thats as they arent startled at all but dont like being handled!).

Yes, the closer one does look like a hen to me because it has a lot more dark spotting but I'm not sure with the back one as I'd need a better shot of it's chest. You may want to watch for behavioral signs like crowing, etc. but you'll probably have to wait another week till you can tell if the one in the back is a roo or not. Again, it's hard to tell this early so in another week, you could probably tell if it is a male or female. :D Good luck with your birds!

Back
Top Bottom