Brown Egg Easter Egger?

SavyNic

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Katy, TX
So our sweet EE Nora has been laying eggs for around a week now! She was our first to start laying, so naturally we couldn’t wait, but we were so surprised when we saw her first egg! It was a very pale brown. We fully expected blue or green as everything we’ve read said that’s just what they lay. Don’t get me wrong, her eggs are beautiful! But I wanted to make sure she’s not lacking something in her diet. How often do EEs actually end up laying brown eggs instead of blue or green? And can it change over time? We have another EE, so fingers crossed hers will be a different color!

Attachments

• 334BF25A-50E5-43F1-956C-8462A8E69AAA.jpeg
    334BF25A-50E5-43F1-956C-8462A8E69AAA.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 21
So our sweet EE Nora has been laying eggs for around a week now! She was our first to start laying, so naturally we couldn’t wait, but we were so surprised when we saw her first egg! It was a very pale brown. We fully expected blue or green as everything we’ve read said that’s just what they lay. Don’t get me wrong, her eggs are beautiful! But I wanted to make sure she’s not lacking something in her diet. How often do EEs actually end up laying brown eggs instead of blue or green? And can it change over time? We have another EE, so fingers crossed hers will be a different color!
Beautiful eggs.
Can I see pics of the bird?
She isn't lacking anything. The blue is the color of the shell, not the bloom. (The coating that makes brown eggs...well...brown.) The green is a blue egg with brown bloom instead of clear.
It won't change.
And hey, EE's are advertised as "any shell color, often blue or green."

Beautiful eggs.
Can I see pics of the bird?
She isn't lacking anything. The blue is the color of the shell, not the bloom. (The coating that makes brown eggs...well...brown.) The green is a blue egg with brown bloom instead of clear.
It won't change.
And hey, EE's are advertised as "any shell color, often blue or green."
She is the white and tan :) Her sister hasn't even squatted yet, so I guess it'll be a bit before we find out what color she'll have.

Attachments

• IMG_1857.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg
    996.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1157.jpeg
    IMG_1157.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 14
Like others have said, nothing's lacking. Brown is a normal color that can be laid by EEs. We get blue, green, and recently started getting a light pink. Maybe your other will lay more colorful eggs.

Attachments

• 20200810_122916.jpg
    20200810_122916.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200731_191845.jpg
    20200731_191845.jpg
    815.8 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom