Brown egg layer laying white eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by columbiacritter, Dec 19, 2008.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I have 5 hens, wyandottes and orps,, all brown egg layers, but one of them is now laying eggs that are so pale I'd call them ivory, no where near brown. THe eggs are otherwise normal size and appearance. They all were laying normally tinted eggs earlier.

Is this a symptom of a problem or just a natural change?

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    It is not a problem at all because eggs color has to do with the (I think the blood of the chicken) and I have a Barred rock hen she never layed a brown egg, her eggs look like white.
    But so long the eggs look healthy to you and have a strong shell, then everything is fine.

merry christmas.

Omran

3. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    That would be one of your orps, I'm guessing..

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    You sure they are purebred? If they are you just have one laying really light brown eggs. Egg color is genetic in chickens not a sign of health and the eggs tend to get lighter as they get older.

5. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    I have a hen that does the same thing. Her eggs are cream colored instead of brown and they are twice the size of all the others. She lays everyday though and is one of my best hens.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's genetic. Their genes will determine egg color, and they do lighten over time as the pigments in the hens body are used.

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    One of my brown egg layers eggs started getting lighter as it started getting colder, now they are almost totally white. I wonder if after it warms up they will darken again.

8. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I am sure if you put it next to a real white egg, you would see it is maybe creamy colored, not really white.

My new RIR girls started laying and the eggs are pale brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by