Brown egg layers

DrumstickRanchTex

Songster
6 Years
Sep 26, 2017
What are favorite brown egg layer breeds? Do they tolerate heat well? Are they prolific layers? Longevity? Are they personable with people as well as other fowl

I enjoy my Brahmas and Barred Rocks-both breeds have their downfalls but they are both decent layers (Brahma avg 4 a week and BR 5). Our Barred Rock is very vocal, aggressive towards chicks (could just be her and not a breed thing) but has been great with allowing me/kids to grab and hold her, no health problems so far. Brahmas as a tad dramatic and vocal as well. They are more skittish and don't tolerate being held as much as our Leghorn and Barred Rock.

edited to answer heat question-both of these have done well in the heat. we had a couple days in the 100s and more than average in the 90s. They have done fine with shade, extra cool water and frozen treats

I enjoy my Brahmas and Barred Rocks-both breeds have their downfalls but they are both decent layers (Brahma avg 4 a week and BR 5). Our Barred Rock is very vocal, aggressive towards chicks (could just be her and not a breed thing) but has been great with allowing me/kids to grab and hold her, no health problems so far. Brahmas as a tad dramatic and vocal as well. They are more skittish and don't tolerate being held as much as our Leghorn and Barred Rock.
I agree. I also want to add welsummers , they lay ( most of the time ) dark-ish speckled eggs and don’t go broody, and also my welsummers are supper calm. My little brother who is 3 years old can hold and pet her , and she likes it.

And both of thoes chickens that I named lay 200+ large eggs per year.

Brown egg layers are all over the place from high producing hybrids to poor laying eye candy cochins. As a general rule Mediterranean breeds, developed in warm climates with big floppy combs that help dissipate heat and small lean bodies are best suited for hot climates. They are white egg layers.

Last edited:
Delawares and barred rocks. Both have light brown eggs and lay 4-5 a week. If you want darker brown, Marans. I like black copper marans for their color, but they all lay dark browns.

Back
Top Bottom