Brown Leghorn Roos, friendly keepers?

Breakfast for 2

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
SE VA-NC border
Hi everyone!
Real quick.....I've got a chance to pick-up a 7-8 wk old brown leghorn rooster for free. Before I jump on it I've come to ya'll for some expert advice on their temperament & behaviors. We own 4 dogs, 3 of which are GSDs so I want a roo to watch over the girls and let the dogs know that chickens are NOT toys.
idunno.gif

Thanks

Hi everyone!
Real quick.....I've got a chance to pick-up a 7-8 wk old brown leghorn rooster for free. Before I jump on it I've come to ya'll for some expert advice on their temperament & behaviors. We own 4 dogs, 3 of which are GSDs so I want a roo to watch over the girls and let the dogs know that chickens are NOT toys.
idunno.gif

Thanks
ROOSTERS ARE ALL DIFFERENT SOME ARE PLACID AND SOME ARE JUST MEAN. I HAVE TWO AND THEY ARE EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF EACH OTHER. ONE IS A BOY TOY THE OTHER A KILLER! YOU JUST NEVER KNOW! I THINK IT DEPENDS ON HOW EACH PERCEIVES YOU. YOU ARE EITHER THE SOURCE OF FOOD AND SHELTER OR A COMPETITIVE ROOSTER.

Last edited:
Thanks!.....I picked him up the other day and he's finally settling in with the others. Now he needs to get used to me.
Around 12 months old or some a little earlier is when roosters start to change because of hormones and what not. Just be prepared for his attitude to drastically change. Some dont,but a lot do. You need to be prepared to teach him who the head rooster is incase this happens.

I don't think any rooster can stand up to a GSD, much less a little light Leghorn rooster.

We have three roosters, and all of them are big boys, and dogs are one of our main predators. A rooster is not a deterrent to a dog at all.

The only way to keep your dogs from the chickens is that you will have to teach the dogs that chickens are not toys.

Back
Top Bottom