1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

brown scab in egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tabinal, Jun 9, 2016.

1. tabinal

tabinal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    [​IMG]
    We have been finding these in our fresh egg whites and my son thinks it's a fetus. I told him no.. but what is it? This is in a egg layed yesterday

2. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

That would be a meat spot... it's not dangerous to eat, just pick it out. i just mix it into my eggs ;)

3. tabinal

tabinal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    Thanks. That sounds pretty gross..

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

How old are your hens?
    Do not worry about it. It happens. Give them more cool water during the day. Water is # 1 in egg laying.
    That is right though, pick it out or just scramble that egg and feed back too your hens. also a trick I use is keeping all my egg shells and rinse them out and dry them, feed the crushed shells back too my hens. I never have that blood spot or crud in my eggs.
    Hope that helped?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Amount and/or temperature of water given has nothing to do with meat/blood spots in eggs.
    It's caused by a small piece of tissue breaking off or a tiny blood vessel breaking when the ova is released.
    Happens normally on occasion, but if constant could be an infection or a genetic malfunction/deformity in a particular hen.

It's mentioned in this awesome video:
    Egg Formation Video

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by