Bruised Beak?

karrowsmith

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
Green Valley, Il

Not sure what this is. Finny 7 month Roo. He let's me clean it and a tiny bit of blood comes out. He is eating, drinking and driving my girls crazy. Anything special I need to do? Thanks

If eating and drinking, then I would just watch closely. Looks like a crack in beak to me. If only in keratin surface will grow out and be ok. If break goes deep to underlying bone is more of a problem. There are some who suggest trying to fix with a patch and superglue. I had a pullet with a similar break when she was young, worried me but she could eat, drink, peck and acted normally. Hers was superficial - like a fingernail split and grew out without problem. And hers was just below the nostrils like your Finny. Don't know what you mean by "driving the girls crazy"? But watch him closely for a few days.

yuckyuck.gif

Sorry, I have no roosters and didn't think of that! Guess his beak injury is not so bad after all.

Still, just keep an eye on him. Make sure he eats, pecks. Offer some hand held treats and if he pecks them, then I think he will be o.k. If so, then he'll likely heal. It takes some time to see the new beak grow. But the keratin grows out just like our fingernails. Humans average 1 mm daily, don't know about chickens. But when my Lillie cracked hers it was at least 2-3 weeks before I was sure the crack was advancing toward the end of the beak..

Oh, and he is quite photogenic, quite a cutie! If you have a full bird photo of the fine fellow, I would love to see it. I have only 6 hens - 3 are BO and love them…wish I had room for a roo. Read that the buff orpington roos are gentlemen. Hope it's true.

A fine looking gentleman. Wish I could borrow him to meet my 2 , too often broody without a roo, BO's.
gig.gif
They are way too often broody, but I love them anyway. Just makes daily egg collections more eggciting, daily Egg Hunts under the broody twins.

My Bo hasn't started laying yet. I am hoping any day now. My EE that was supposed to lay green eggs is laying small brown ones. My 2 Pekin duck give 2 eggs a day.

My Bo hasn't started laying yet. I am hoping any day now. My EE that was supposed to lay green eggs is laying small brown ones. My 2 Pekin duck give 2 eggs a day.
I have 3 BO - they all took a lot longer to start laying then my BR - 1st eggs from Bo's came at 23 weeks old, next one laid first egg a week later, but Big Buff didn't lay her first egg until she was 6 months old!

I was concerned when it seemed forever waiting for them to lay, but searches in the forums have lots of posts about BO that don't lay for 6 mo or more!

Hope yours isn't a late bloomer like my Big B.

There's a lot of posts on EE - most are not true ameraucana true breed and I think can lay green or blue?. If yours were bought as EE, then it is unpredictable what color they will lay. And I think there is a lot of interpretation on color in eggs. Maybe yours are greenish brown? All of mine are brown egg layers, but most look pink from BO and tan to light brown for BR.

Back
Top Bottom