Bruised foot, 3 week chick

khark74

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 28, 2012
Massachusetts
Hi. Hoping someone can help this little one. I don't know how she got injured, yesterday she was limping, but today the bruising is evident. She is able to fly and keep up with her mom, but is definitely hopping on one leg. Thanks in advance for looking!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

3 week barnyard mix

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Bruised foot, limping. Not especially crying, still seems to be eating and drinking. Staying pace with mom hen

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
24 hours

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No bleeding, bruising and swelling, no cut that I could see

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Unknown

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Baby chick feed and free range

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Hasn't yet pooped since we isolated her

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Washed with Epsom salts, currently being held to keep still

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Yes, see below
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Wood shavings, replaced on Friday

Ouch. That looks like at least a fracture. At least the foot is holding shape.

Chooks are great at healing if given a chance, so if you restrict her mother and clutchmates from free ranging or covering too big an area for a day or two, that will help the little one quite a lot, let her rest and heal. Chicks in particular heal rapidly, but if she's stressed about keeping up with her mother she may struggle too much and exacerbate the injury.

Best wishes.

Thanks you for reply, she is here in the house now, confined and the swelling has gone down considerably. The bruising is more purple/darker. She is eating and drinking and resting. She is not putting weight on it, but I do catch her testing it.

Appreciate the help!

It's a potentially permanent problem to remove the chick from its mother. It may not be accepted back. That's why I suggested confining the mother and the rest of the clutch with it.

Yes, I know that separating the chick by itself could lead to other issues down the road. I wasn't able to successfully isolate mom and chicks that well (they escaped the fencing I had put in the coop) so I took the chick out as a secondary option. She is able to bear weight on her foot again, bruising is almost gone and is chirping like crazy, she's feeling better I think.

Update: chick is back with mom, snuck her back in last night. Mom took her back with no issues (thank goodness) Chick is favoring her foot just slightly, but is much better than 2 days ago.. I'll continue to watch her today....no free ranging, just time in the run so she isn't too overworked. Thank you for your help on this!

Really good to hear, thanks for the update.

I say this fairly often but if you don't have convalescent cages now, it's only a matter of time before you need them, something will always happen to require an extra cage, so best to get the extra cage/s in advance for anyone who keeps more than two animals.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom