Bruising /Damage? Call duck eggs

Bstella

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2023
There is some discolouration on this egg, and it looks like bruising Or bleeding? I think this is my fault. my incubator is not clear plastic it has a it if haze so I'm sorry the photos may not be the best quality.

He internally pipped yesterday I gave a safety hole, I can hear him squeaking now, but I noticed all the discolouration.

What is your advice, do I intervene now or wait?

Also this egg we think had twins in it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 930C7330-57D8-4464-A60F-C02A8B48A196.jpeg
    930C7330-57D8-4464-A60F-C02A8B48A196.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 6
I'd leave it alone for a bit longer, but by twins do you mean a double yolk? Because they normally don't survive past lockdown if both developed so be prepared for one duckling or two failed chicks.

I'd leave it alone for a bit longer, but by twins do you mean a double yolk? Because they normally don't survive past lockdown if both developed so be prepared for one duckling or two failed chicks.
This was the egg during incubation and we saw movement on both of those dark spots while we watched them grow, so we think it is twins. I have not done this before, one internally pipped yesterday, I put a safety hole but then this morning I saw that discolouration when I woke up. If there are two one could be trying to pip out that way maybe? I did read that rarely both twins survive, so I'm sadly somewhat prepared for that, but the one on the other side that pipped into the air cell I hope makes it

Attachments

• 6839392F-B548-4E78-A752-60F7C953E4C3.jpeg
    6839392F-B548-4E78-A752-60F7C953E4C3.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 9
This was the egg during incubation and we saw movement on both of those dark spots while we watched them grow, so we think it is twins. I have not done this before, one internally pipped yesterday, I put a safety hole but then this morning I saw that discolouration when I woke up. If there are two one could be trying to pip out that way maybe? I did read that rarely both twins survive, so I'm sadly somewhat prepared for that, but the one on the other side that pipped into the air cell I hope makes it
I'd say it might be pipping but the shell is a bit thick, and it breaking through.

Side note about call ducks: call duck 90% of the time it seems need to be assisted with their tiny necks that just can't reach. So you might need to assist them at some point.

I'd say it might be pipping but the shell is a bit thick, and it breaking through.

Side note about call ducks: call duck 90% of the time it seems need to be assisted with their tiny necks that just can't reach. So you might need to assist them at some point.
Thank you, how long do you suggest I wait before putting a hole where I see the bruising?

I have another egg as well he pipped internally last night I put a safety hole this morning so will leave him until tonight then follow the guide to assist.

Thank you, how long do you suggest I wait before putting a hole where I see the bruising?

I have another egg as well he pipped internally last night I put a safety hole this morning so will leave him until tonight then follow the guide to assist.
I'd say wait till a bit before the 24 hour mark and then assist, same with any other eggs. Also started counting the hours right from the first internal pip or from around the time you first thick it happened. Also you should probably look at some articles on assisted hatches to learn a bit more. Hope they all hatch!

I'd say wait till a bit before the 24 hour mark and then assist, same with any other eggs. Also started counting the hours right from the first internal pip or from around the time you first thick it happened. Also you should probably look at some articles on assisted hatches to learn a bit more. Hope they all hatch!
Thank you! I will do that, I've been watching videos and reading articles mixed information as always and I am very much not an expert so I really appreciate your responses! hopefully will be able to update with positive news soon!

If you see bruising, then it needs air. I would make a tiny safety hole where the bruising is.

If you see bruising, then it needs air. I would make a tiny safety hole where the bruising is.
Oh my I think he is shrink wrapped, possibly the other eggs as welll!

Attachments

• 9002ACBB-D992-4BF6-9F35-34C7BCAFD23D.jpeg
    9002ACBB-D992-4BF6-9F35-34C7BCAFD23D.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom