BSF Grubs - Information

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rainwolf, May 21, 2011.

1. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Hello,
    I would like to start a Black Solider Fly (BSF) compost bin. I have done enough research and reading that I think I've got what I need and will be building it soon.

What I am looking for is information about BSF composting from experience. Tricks, tips, suggestions, things to avoid, etc.

I really want to make a compost bin that not only makes great garden soil but feeds my Birds!

Question: I want to make a compost bin just for my quail/chicken/dog droppings.. and another for my kitchen/food waste... Can I feed the animal waste grubs to my birds? or if not what should I do with them?

Question: Where is the best place I can buy some BSF eggs to get my bins started?

Please add any information you have about BSF composting as I am sure many will read this thread.
    Thank you

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. daddykirbs

daddykirbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    I raised the BSF last year for my Aquaponics system. I got a lot of information from here: http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/

Here
    in Texas they are native so I did not need a starter. There are sources online for starters if you need them. They are also known as Phoenix Worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by