BSL at 5 Months and No Comb???

jujub41482

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 29, 2013
Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this one... I have a Black Sex-Link pullet and she's about 5 months old now and doesn't really have a comb. She has a few "bumps" and some spiky feathers there, but nothing like a comb. My Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock pullets had combs since they were only a few weeks old, but the BSL is developing nothing like them. I've been looking for pictures of other BSL pullets about the same age and I can't find anything to compare her to. Here's a picture of her I just took today. Can anyone with experience raising these ladies tell me if this is normal or if something is wrong with her?

Sexual maturity is delayed in autumn and winter.

Since she's not laying yet, don't feed layer pellets - they're only for birds actively laying.

Last edited:
Light.
Cold has no effect on sexual maturity. Chickens don't get cold like you do.
As an example, in the broiler breeder industry, they limit light until after 20 weeks so the breeders won't sexually mature and start laying before 24 weeks. This way the eggs will be large enough at onset of lay that they can immediately start incubating them rather than wait for the eggs to get bigger.

Thanks for the info. I'm still patiently waiting for my first egg from her. It seems my PBR is maturing faster than her, even though there's 6 weeks between them.

Yes, thank you. She's mostly a free-range kind of girl and she does gets starter crumbles. Oyster shells are offered on the side since I do have one layer.

Also, if you don't mind... I've been trying to figure out how to put the little footer into my posts and I can't figure it out for the life of me! It's the section where you entered: "God bless the entire world - no exceptions. Honey Bees, Black Penedesencas, among others". Could you tell me how I can enter my own quote in that section?

Just an update, she hasn't changed since I took this picture, but she started laying a few days ago. Maybe she just has something wrong with her comb?

I just saw post number 8. There is a dropdown box under your profile name in the top right corner. One item says 'Edit my signature'. I guess you figured it out.

I had an orpington that never developed much of a comb but started laying anyway. Apparently they're all individuals.

Back
Top Bottom