BSL running outa time...

plantguy90

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Moorpark, CA
My light brahmin just died, and my BSL has a huge red rash below the vent area. She had diarrea, and it smelled bad, and since all signs pointed to Cocci, I treated with Sulmet for about 3-4 days. Took everyone off the sulmet as I thought she was getting better. She still has an appetite, pretty strong, and maybe its me, but the red rash seems to have gotten worse? Her vent doesnt have that awful diarhea smell, and its dried up, but the red rash seems redder today... Help! Whats going on???

If you were using Sulmet powder, the dosage is 2 tbsp. to 1 gallon of water given for 2 days. Then, reduce the dosage to 1 tbsp. to 1 gal. of water for an additional 4 days. From the makers of Sulmet:

"Medicated cattle, swine, chickens and turkeys must actually consume enough medicated water which provides the recommended dosages."

"SULMET works fast. If symptoms persist after using this preparation for 2 or 3 days, consult a veterinarian. Excessive dosage may cause toxic reactions. Follow dosage and administration instructions carefully. Hatchability of eggs laid during medication with sulfas, and for short periods thereafter, may be adversely affected."

I may just mix up a batch and apply directly with a baby medicine syringe, in that case.

As for vets, the local guy doesn't do "small flocks," and he just gave me the place to send her for a necropcy from the local university extension. Big help that was.

Last edited:
Sulfa drugs kill off a lot of the good bacteria in the chickens gut along with the bad. Sometimes they end up with a secondary infection (like a bad rash). If she was my bird, I would make her some cooked oatmeal mixed with plain yogurt and feed that a couple times a day. To try and make her vent area more comfortable, I would soak her in about 5" of warm water and add 1 cup of 5% hydrogen peroxide (the brown bottle found next to the alcohol at your grocery). The peroxide is an antiseptic, but don't use full strength on her. Let her soak for 5 minutes or so. Do not add soap or rub the rashy area. Just swish the water around back there to try to get it as clean as possible. Dry with a towel (again, blot don't rub) then dry her completely with a blow dryer on a cool setting. When dry, make a powder puff out of a wadded up cloth and dust the rash area with cornstarch. If after 24 hours the rash is no better, then I would repeat the sitz bath and gently apply a topical antibiotic to the rash (like Neosporin or generic Triple Antibiotic ointment). Finish by dusting again with the cornstarch. The key is to keep this area as clean, dry, and free of infection as possible.

Hoping she makes a speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom