Bubbling chicken...looks like a crab out of water.

WRVgirl

Songster
7 Years
Jun 16, 2012
Zone 8a
Hey all....bit of a Chicken Emergency. I got this cute little chocolate roo at auction last month. Quarantined him in the garage and he looked fine...clear eyes etc. Day 10 I let him out into the yard, a friend came by and checked him out because I thought he seemed a little lethargic. When she picked him up, we saw runny nose and when she felt around his neck, his eyes bubbled. That was 3 weeks ago. I put him back into the quarantine and did a 2 week cycle of duramycin. He bounced back, was feisty and eating, drinking, pooping. Yesterday I noticed he was bubbling at the mouth [like a crab] and today his nostrils are closed with yellow mucous and he's still bubbling. If it was anything upper respiratory, the duramycin should have taken care of it, right? I don't know what else to do for him. Any and ALL suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

None of my other chickens are sick or showing any signs of illness at all. We're going on almost 5 weeks since I brought him home. I have no clue what illness takes this long :/

Sorry but the best thing would be to cull him. Duramycin is on the low end of respiratory drugs, and Tylan 50 is much better. However when you have a new chicken with respiratory disease symptoms, even if you treat his symptoms and he looks healthy, he will be a carrier that will infect your whole flock. They will also be carriers. MG/CRD, coryza, IB, and ILT can have symptoms like your rooster. Here is a list of common diseases and their symptoms for you: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom