Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
While were on medicine stuff, do you vaccinate for merk disease? I hear of some that do, and some that do not. So I would really like to hear more opinions on it since I am new to the chickty chick era lol

Here is a cockerel Sired by a cockerel Bob Gilbert got from me crossed over a pullet from Laura (Pathfinders) (this bird is not owned by me but by Ryan Carel in California -- Bob sent to him).

Nice, huh? I have 8 Buckeyes I hatched December 6 from eggs Laura gave me -- you can see why I am excited about my Buckeye future? It looks like the 8 are going to be 3 cockerels and 5 pullets:

Now if you guys remember these were the four lil ones from about 2-3 weeks ago theses guys turn 4 weeks tomorrow my thought is that the first two are boys and the last two are girls? opinions?

Here is a cockerel Sired by a cockerel Bob Gilbert got from me crossed over a pullet from Laura (Pathfinders) (this bird is not owned by me but by Ryan Carel in California -- Bob sent to him).

Nice, huh? I have 8 Buckeyes I hatched December 6 from eggs Laura gave me -- you can see why I am excited about my Buckeye future? It looks like the 8 are going to be 3 cockerels and 5 pullets:

Very nice looking fellow.

Nervous. We bought some std size Buckeye chicks from Duane Urch last spring. The Cockeral "Banner" did well at our small county fair. So now we have eggs from his girls in the incubator. Hatch Weekend. I knew you folks would understand. :)

Got my Gamebird starter ready!

Nervous. We bought some std size Buckeye chicks from Duane Urch last spring. The Cockeral "Banner" did well at our small county fair. So now we have eggs from his girls in the incubator. Hatch Weekend. I knew you folks would understand. :)

Got my Gamebird starter ready!
thumbsup.gif
good luck!

Now if you guys remember these were the four lil ones from about 2-3 weeks ago theses guys turn 4 weeks tomorrow my thought is that the first two are boys and the last two are girls? opinions?

Absolutely no way to tell what gender those birds are yet. Sorry.

Has anybody had split wing show up in their Buckeyes? One of the chicks' wing feathers is growing in differently than the rest. There's a slight break between the primaries and the secondaries which is present in both wings but more prominent in the right side. I noticed this almost as soon as the wing feathers started coming in, they sort of stick out a bit and are obviously different from the other chicks' wings. I've not had a chick feather in like this before. Searching BYC for info on split wing turns up mostly silkie related threads, although there are enough of other breeds that I know it's not just a "silkie" thing. Some of the info I've seen indicates that one week old is too young to tell if a chick has split wing or if it's just an ugly growing phase. I've seen some people state that you can tell as early as 3 weeks and others who said that you have to wait until a bird is mature to know for sure. Thoughts?

I haven't seen my Buckeyes do that but I have seen a chick from another breed give us some OH NO moments on a split wing when it was young. She grew out of it with the next set of feathers and became a very successful show chicken. So I would wait and see, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom