Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
All good advice. The main reason you don't want to mix the two is the chicks might not eat enough of the medicated to allow the chicks to build up an immunity to prevent cocci (which is what the medication does) or they might eat more of the medicated and not get the benefit of the higher protein game bird starter. Mixing medicated chick and turkey starter sounds like a great idea, and that might be the way you want to go. Sulmet is a liquid that is given if the birds do get cocci, and Laura is right, it is not unheard of to have a strain on your farm that is resistant to that particular medication. Like Chris, I like to let my hens raise chicks, and when I do, I've found there has been no trouble with cocci. But if you're hatching out very many, you can't always wait for a hen to decide to take up Motherin', so you have to do the best you can. FWIW, the worst losses to cocci I've ever had were with birds that I'd started very early in the year, so it was still too cold to put them out when they needed more room. The crowded conditions didn't cause cocci, but it allowed me to overlook the early symptoms until it had infected most of the chicks.
sad.png

Last year, I had two 60 X 24 X 24 inch long cages built to raise chicks in. As soon as they had feathers on their wings and backs, I put them outside in those cages set up on cement blocks and used tomato cages wired to the top to hold a tarp over them. I was able to hang a heat lamp up under the tarp (the cages kept it well away from anything flammable). imagine ia really ugly tent looking structure, and yea, that's what it looked like. Still, I kept those two cages full all summer, and didn't loose one chick to cocci. the wire bottom floors allowed the droppings to fall through, so cleanup was a breeze.

I don't vaccinate for mareks, but only because I've not had a problem in the past. I now have some turkeys and plan to put some of their droppings in with whatever chicks I raise this year. I've heard from several sources that because turkeys carry a herpes virus similar to mareks, early exposure to their dropping can offer some immunity to chickens. It's similar to the way cowpox was originally used to give people immunity to smallpox. I'm hoping that since i haven't had a problem, that I will continue to be so fortunate, *BUT* if I did start seeing mareks, I'd be vaccinating per Laura's instructions.

I read last year somewhere that Sulmet was found to be problematic as a Coccidiostat. I think it causes liver damage but I can't remember for sure. Google it and you'll probably find something. I usually feed most of my chicks Medicated Chick Starter but decided to give Chris' feeding a try and get the Gamebird Startena (30% Protein).

So, because I live in an area that is ideal for Cocci to grow and spread, I buy the liquid Amprolium and put it in their water.

God Bless,

I read last year somewhere that Sulmet was found to be problematic as a Coccidiostat. I think it causes liver damage but I can't remember for sure. Google it and you'll probably find something. I usually feed most of my chicks Medicated Chick Starter but decided to give Chris' feeding a try and get the Gamebird Startena (30% Protein).

So, because I live in an area that is ideal for Cocci to grow and spread, I buy the liquid Amprolium and put it in their water.

God Bless,

Tailfeathers,

Generally, sulfonamides, the drug class for the active ingredient in Sulmet, are *not* problematic. There is a caveat to this statement, sulfonamides if not properly dosed/mixed do have the potential to cause problems in the liver. Herein lies the thorny problem, proper dosing and mixing, if you are not following dosing directions explicitly from the package, you're inviting problems. Once medicated water is mixed, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to only offer to chicks what you know they will consume in the time it takes for you to get back to the watering station to refill (every 8/12/24 hours, whatever). Once mixed, Sulmet is formulated to stay fairly well distributed in suspension throughout the water to ensure consistant concentrations consumed, but if you're leaving watering stations 24 hours at a time, I'd give 'em a good rocking at 12 hours. Like any other medication, it'll do best if placed in the shade (UV isn't nice to *a lot* of chemicals/medications).

Amprolium is a metabolic pathway blocker (it block Thiamine) and works specifically well in the Coccidia bacteria family. If you don't have an active or historical problem with Coccidia, it's fine by itself. If you *do* have a problem, you might find that Amprolium alone may take too long to essentially starve out the bacteria until it dies (roughly, that's how metabolic pathway blockers work). In the period of time it takes for Amprolium to work, it is possible for chicks to become symptomatic and some losses are also possible. If you have a history of Coccidia or active Coccidia on your farm/homestead, I would advocate use of *both*.

I'm about to order buckeye eggs and being new to the chicken life; I find myself with new questions daily. After extensive research, I settled on the Buckeye. I see everywhere they are cold tolerant but what about heat tolerance? I am "down the hill" from Hendersonville, NC and it can get really hot and humid here in Rutherford County. Is that an issue that needs serious consideration with this breed? I would appreciate any help or anecdotal stories about heat problems since I am completely ignorant on this subject. Thanks!

I'm about to order buckeye eggs and being new to the chicken life; I find myself with new questions daily. After extensive research, I settled on the Buckeye. I see everywhere they are cold tolerant but what about heat tolerance? I am "down the hill" from Hendersonville, NC and it can get really hot and humid here in Rutherford County. Is that an issue that needs serious consideration with this breed? I would appreciate any help or anecdotal stories about heat problems since I am completely ignorant on this subject. Thanks!

I always have shade available!!! I am building chicken tractors and they will be short and a little wider than normal, so that the shade will be available during the hot part of the day. They should be fine. I have heard of putting large blocks of ice in their drinking water, I am going to try that next time the heat index rises above 100F.

I live in Northern KY and my Buckeyes do just fine in the heat. I know Chris, who lives in AL, says they do fairly well there too, although he has had some losses when it gets extremely hot.

I think if you take reasonable care, and provide shade, well-ventilated roosting places at night, and ample supplies of cool water (we freeze water in old milk cartons to create ice blocks to put in the water pans in the high summer), they should do fine in NC.

I have seen fans on the ends of the chicken barns in the southern states, they are probably set up to blow the hot air out and suck in the cooler air in an open window at the other end

Ok! Chicks arriving soon. I have some Purina Game Bird Chow Startena to put them on, nonmedicated. Should I put something in their water for Cocci? or is it necessary?

Dan

hahaha, I thought the ice water was a joke at first! Do they like lemon in their sweet tea too? Makes sense though...water just sitting gets really hot. I'll do that for sure!!! I already have plans for an attic fan in the coop. Thanks so much for the suggestions and help...ordering eggs for shipment next week!
celebrate.gif
I was beginning to think I had asked a stupid question but I always heard that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
I live in Northern KY and my Buckeyes do just fine in the heat. I know Chris, who lives in AL, says they do fairly well there too, although he has had some losses when it gets extremely hot.

I think if you take reasonable care, and provide shade, well-ventilated roosting places at night, and ample supplies of cool water (we freeze water in old milk cartons to create ice blocks to put in the water pans in the high summer), they should do fine in NC.

I have seen fans on the ends of the chicken barns in the southern states, they are probably set up to blow the hot air out and suck in the cooler air in an open window at the other end

Finally got through all 476 pages of this thread. I am guessing it would have been close to 500 had moderators and staff not deleted a bunch of BS.

Anyway, I took notes and I got lots of good info from this thread. I am glad all the good contributors have not left this thread! Although it does seem a few have disappeared.

Chris & Laura thanks for all your good posts and for answering the many repetitive ?'s by noobies and otherwise. Chris I am Sorry your birds are Not perfect!
wink.png
Obviously some are convinced theirs are. LOL!!

Dan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom